An interesting 'Genius standing' follis??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, May 25, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yesterday, the postman brought me my most recent coin purchase, a follis of Licinius with a 'Genius standing' reverse. While the 'Genius standing' type is so plentiful that it's indisputably the Cockroach Coin of the Tetrarchy, this example was a little unusual in that Genius doesn't hold a patera, as he usually does in his right hand. Nor does he hold the head of Sol, or Serapis (but yeah, those head-on-a-platter coins are still cool).

Instead, on this coin he holds up... a Victoriola! Errm... okay, so this in itself might not sound particularly exciting, but hey, consider that you're likely to come across a thousand of the other 'Genius standing' coins before you see one of these. This particular issue, struck in the name of Licinius, is rated scarce in RIC, but as a type, they're altogether quite rare (they were issued only at the Antioch mint, for a short period between 311 and 312).

The seller of my coin had misattributed it as a common 'Genius holding head of Sol', so I managed to buy it for a common-type price. And while I don't reckon that a Victoriola is worth paying a premium for, I think by definition it can still be considered a little Victory :D.

If anyone has one of these to share, I'd be really happy to see it. In any case, please feel free to share your favorite 'Genius standing'!

Licinius - Genio Wreath ANT.jpg
    LICINIUS
    AE Follis. 5.8g, 20.6mm. Antioch mint, AD 311-312. RIC VI Antioch 162 corr. (no eagle). O: IMP C LIC LICINNIVS P F AVG, laureate head right. R: GENIO AV-GVSTI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding Victoriola and cornucopiae; star in left field, H in right field, ANT in exergue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!

Way cool!!! I believe that's one of the few I have noticed of a "holding Victoriola' example.....but I haven't investigated that era in quite a while.

zumbly likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Seen a few before, but never paid much attention to it. As you mentioned, kinda like a roach.

This one would be like a roach having 3 antennae instead of 2. Cool to see but than "meh".

A nice coin as a whole though, nice details. I'd take the roach.

zumbly likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Small victories can be the best kind.

The standard variety from Maximinus:
    ru4150bb2038.jpg

Ususally we see the Victory used on the Jupiter type. Was the Genius intentional or an accident?

ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 19 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE CAPTURE! Love those scarce / unusual finds! Hold a little Victory in his had is pretty cool! This one ain't a Roach!

I got this one in a @John Anthony sale from the Douglas (that is what his MOM called him when she was angry) Smith Collection :) ... I think there is a little Victory guy in Jupiter's hand... or maybe just a waving banshee...?

RI Licinius I 308-324 CE AE3 Jupiter w Eagle.jpg
    Licinius I, Jupiter with Captive and Eagle. From the Doug Smith Collection, #2521

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 15 others like this.
  7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Very nice! I don't have a genius, but one of the Jupiter Coins Doug alluded to. This came from my large uncleaned lot, and it turned out well (primarily because it wasn't dirty to begin with...). A full 15¢ for this sucker!
    01-R3-Licinius I-AE-FOL-01.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Licinius I, r. 308-324 A.D.
    Rome Mint, AE Follis, 22.1mm x 3.2 grams
    Obv.: IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    Rev.: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN, Jupiter standing facing head left, chlamys shoulder, holding Victory on globe and leaning on scepter, eagle with wreath l, A in right field, SIS in ex.
    Ref.: SRCV 15249

ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 19 others like this.
  8. zumbly

I believe intentional. These came between Genius holding a patera and holding the head of Sol; before further weight reduction of the follis and the introduction of the Jupiter type.

ominus1, Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Oh dear, now I NEED one like Doug's, holding a head - I hadn't paid much attention to that before. "Victoriola" (CT term?) is cool because rare, but holding heads is appealingly bizarre.

My two favourite Genios:
    Maximinus II Daia, Alexandria mint
    Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 9.36.26 AM.png

Constantine I, Rome mint
    Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 9.36.46 AM.png

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice find Z.

A common Licinius Genius type from London
    Licinius I 5a.jpg
    LICINIUS I
    AE2 Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: GENIO POP ROM S-F, Genius standing left, modius on head, loins draped, holding patera & cornucopia, PLN in ex.
    Struck at London 313-4 AD
    3.2g, 22mm
    RIC VII 3

And a Maximinus holding the head of Serapis
    Maximinus II 7.jpg
    MAXIMINUS II DAIA
    AE Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS PF AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: GENI-O-AVGVSTI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding head of Serapis and cornucopiae. X-A across fields; ALE in ex.
    Struck at Alexandria 312 AD
    4.83g, 21mm
    RIC VI 149b Ex Spink

Attached Files:

11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That is a very interesting reverse. I like the styling.

zumbly likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Cool reverse, with outstanding Genius and Victoriola !
    I have the Jupiter/Victoriola versionfor Licinius father and son :

[​IMG]
    Licinius I, reduced follis Alexandria mint, 7th officina
    IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head right
    IOVI CONSER - VATORI AVGG, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe in right hand and sceptre in left hand. An eagle holding wreath in his beak at his feet in left field, In right field a wreath above a Z above an N, at exergue ALE
    4.23 gr, 20/21mm
    Ref : RIC # 10, RCV # 15246, C # 108

[​IMG]
    Licinius II, AE3 Nicomedia mint, 4th officina, AD 317-318
    D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, draped and diademed bust right
    PROVIDENTIA CAESS, Jupiter standing left, holding victory and sceptre, palm at his feet, dot and Δ in right field. SMN at exergue
    3.19 gr
    Ref : RCV # 115419 (75) Cohen # 39, RIC VII # 33-34

Q

ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 18 others like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Very attractive OP coin. I find lrbs have their own cool feeling to them that I learned to appreciate. They certainly have a lot of historical context to them.

zumbly likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

[​IMG]

and a great patina, blue highlights are nice!

i have the vanilla genius reverse on this coin of gallerius...

[​IMG]

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very neat addition!

zumbly likes this.
  16. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very beautiful coins of all members. My one genius, and two Jupiter Coins (Constantine, Licinius and Maximinus):
    20170402_180934.jpg 20170402_180944.jpg 20170409_101245.jpg 20170409_101256.jpg 20170409_101844.jpg 20170409_101856.jpg

17. zumbly

Thanks for sharing your coins, guys. Nice to see so many superb examples of the 'Genius standing' here.

@Severus Alexander : those two are really excellent. I especially like the Constantine. "Victoriola" is the less commonly used term for the little cult statue of Victory holding a wreath. And yes, you have to get one of those with the head of Serapis or Sol. For those types we do actually a CT term - the 'head-on-a-platter' :D. See these previous threads:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-head-on-a-platter-look.242346/
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancinets-a-genius-and-his-head.243063/#post-1870183
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/bring-me-the-head-of-serapis.269065/#post-2243692

Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Freaky-lookin' Genius with elf shoes and prominent nipples. No Victoriola, though.

Maximian Genius Follis.jpg
    This an abdication issue struck in Maximian's 2nd reign.
    Æ Follis; 8.40 g
    London, AD 307
    Obv: IMP MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: GENIO POP ROM, Genius stg and facing, holding patera and cornucopia; PLN in exergue
    Refs: RIC 86; RCV 13444 var (different obverse legend).

ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 18 others like this.
  19. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

@zumbly: "Head-on-a-platter", I love it! Only a matter of time before that becomes a standard VCoins search term. :woot:

I'll post mine as soon as I get one.

zumbly and Alegandron like this.
  20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sure thing!

But I can't narrow it down to one...

First up is Genius holding the head of Sol. Love the holding head types. I have yet to add a Tyche type. Other than the reverse I like the styling and rust color as well as the crisp details.

[​IMG]
    Maximinus II, Rome, Tetrarchy, AD 309-313
    AE, follis, 4.96g, 21mm;12h; Antioch
    Obv.: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS PF AVG; laureate head right
    Rev.: GENO AVGVSTI; Genius standing left, holding head of Sol and cornucopiae; star left, A right
    In Ex.: ANT

The second one was an early coin purchase that I have a soft spot for.

[​IMG]
    Maximian, AD 286-305
    AE, Follis, 8.8g, 31mm; 6h; Heraclea
    Obv.: IMP CMA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG; laureate head right
    Rev.: GENIO POPV-L-I ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over shoulder (falls low), holding paera from which liquid flows and cornucopiae
    In Ex.: HTΓ

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Z-Bro => congrats on nailin' that gorgeous OP-winner (winna)

Ummm, I have a humble, yet sweet example of this cat as well ...

Licinius I.jpg

... but my example merely has stupid ol' Jupiter (what a rip-off!!)

:bear:

Just jokes => I love this coin

:rolleyes:

Hey, Z-Bro => congrats again on snagging that cool OP-coin

Oh, but you must be pissed that you don't have that sweet eagle, eh?

:pigeon:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    ominus1, icerain, Pishpash and 14 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted