An Interesting 1891-O Seated Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I bought this 1891-O seated dime a few years ago for about $4.50, which at the time was about 2x melt. For the longest time I have set it aside for more interesting stuff. However, recently, I took another look at it and noticed something on the reverse:

AF525015-7D06-41B6-9DA0-7DC0381A4AD5.jpeg B2C30B65-1ECF-41F5-A1FC-9C7B73C3D33E.jpeg

Look between 10:00 and 11:30. At first, you may think the missing detail is just wear. However, notice how the lack of detail firmly drops onto the design - it must be a die break. In addition, there is a small die break at 9:00 in the wreath. I looked at the Fortin guide and attributed this coin as F-124a - an R-5 variety. Although there isn’t much of a premium given the low grade, it’s still an interesting find, especially seeing as I’ve never seen any sold online.

NSP, TypeCoin971793 and C-B-D like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Cool coin! On PCGS’s CoinFacts, there’s a picture of one (I believe it’s the same variety) in MS66 where you can see all of the details on the retained cud.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

In The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Dimes (1992), Brian Greer "numerous examples exist with shattered dies, cuds, or massive clashes". He has 5 pictured, but doesn't comment on rarity. One has a cud in the same area as yours, but it isn't a match

Draft saved Draft deleted