An important coin crossed off my waitlist- Show your Pharos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I was high bidder on this coin in a Heritage Auction last week. I have been looking for the right coin from Alexandria that showed the Pharos Lighthouse for a good long time, but each example I came across either had problems that made it unacceptable or went for more that I was willing to pay. When I came across this example it thought it had potential, so i waited for the evening of the auction and placed a bid though I didn't fully expect to win the coin. As I get older and more set in my ways I seem to be winning an ever lower percentage of my bids.

At any rate, this is a bronze Drachm of Hadrian dated year 17 (AD 132-133). The reverse shows Isis holding a sail with the Pharos Lighthouse before her. Emmett-1002.17

In person the coin displays smoother surfaces and a more pleasant milk chocolate patina than the photos would suggest. I will be liberating it from it's plastic tomb at my earliest convenience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built in 280 BC, The Pharos Lighthouse stood between 363 and 449 feet in height and used a mirror or system of mirrors to concentrate a beam of light that could be seen up to 30 miles out to sea on a clear night. During the day fires were burned that created a pillar of smoke to guide ships. By way of contrast, the tallest lighthouse in the US is the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse which stands at 210 feet. Perhaps more amazing than it's staggering dimensions was the longevity of the Pharos which survived for 1583 years until it was destroyed in an earthquake in AD 1303. It's remains were discovered by underwater archaeologists in 1968. It was the second longest surviving of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

[​IMG]

Please tell me how you think I did and if you have a coin showing the Pharos please show it off.

NLL, Theodosius, galba68 and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a lovely coin. I can see why you were attracted to it. The reverse is worn but still has plenty of detail. The images are also extremely well centred on the coin. I think this is a terrific pickup.

One thing I have commented on before with Heritage is that if the label does not read xf or higher , one can some times pick up a solid deal. The slab collectors seem to ignore the lower grade coins. This is fine by me as I have picked up a few beauties for very good prices because of this.

I would gladly have this coin instead of some xf coin with poor centering or off flan detail.

Congratulations on picking up this lovely example.

I do not have coin with the Pharos to show.

galba68, Alegandron and dadams like this.
  4. Aethelred

And for me nice smooth surfaces matter more than high grade.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

galba68 likes this.
  6. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

She sure is a beauty! My sentiments exactly (I was your underbidder - my offer still stands ;) - sorry not sure if it is not ethical to mention bidder positioning on this forum - just emphasizing I think you did well), especially with respect to centering.

galba68 and Aethelred like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice with a fantastic reverse, like you I looked for one that had nice surfaces with a bit of wear and a good reverse and more importantly was affordable. 1000-30-106.jpg
    Antoninus Pius Dated year 12=AD. 148/49 AE Drachm (34.7 mm, 23.80gm) Emmett 1592

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Oh my, what a very attractive coin! If all VGs looked like that, it would probably be the only grade I'd buy.

Andres2 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My thoughts exactly.

Commodus Alexandria 4dr:
    pa0520fd3414.jpg

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think the price was great for the type and condition.

Your coin has a wonderfully struck and centered reverse. You can clearly see the figure atop the lighthouse, the two Tritons, some details on the lighthouse, and all of Isis Pharia's headdress.

Congrats on the wonderful acquisition!

Mine is from Forum Ancient Coins four years ago. It was on sale yet I felt like the price was a still a bit high at the time (bought it anyway :D). Today I couldn't replace it for what I paid.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 18, CE 133/4
    Æ drachm, 32 mm, 23.3 gm
    Obv: AYT KAIC TPAIAN A∆PIANOC CEB, laureate and draped bust right
    Rev: Isis Pharia right holding a billowing sail with both hands and left foot, sailing toward the Lighthouse of Pharos, which is surmounted by a statue and two Tritons, each blowing a buccinum (sea shell trumpet); L IH (year 18) above center
    Ref: Emmett 1002.18

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool addition!

12. Aethelred

I think it is okay to note that you were bidding, underbidder, et cetera. I am sorry you didn't win this one.

rg3 likes this.
  13. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Picked this one up about a year ago; pharos is so rare... quality is not really important here.
    Hemidrachm Hadrianus.
    Frans

Attached Files:

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooooooh, I'd love to have one of those!! I've seen perhaps five or six at auction in the last five or six years and they are always fought over.

15. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

The best of history..

16. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

A true collector..

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice OP coin. Sure it has some wear but a very nice strike, well-centered, and the reverse devices all are easily visible.

Draft saved Draft deleted