An Extreme Example of a Re-engraved coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Sep 6, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Some one just bid $4,850 for this coin on eBay. It attracted 45 bids. This coin has been extensively re-engraved. The detail on Ms. Liberty's eye and hair is re-engraved.

I present this as a caution for any beginners out there who happen to have a lot of money to spend. Don't get stuck with something like this.

Here is Ms. Liberty with an extensive facelift. I fiddled with the photo to make the scratch work more obvious.

1795 half dollar re engraved O.jpg 1795 half dollar re engraved R.jpg

Here is a genuine example that has been graded EF-45.

1795Half Dol O.jpg 1795Half Dol R.jpg

The eagle on the work-on piece has more detail now than it did in 1795.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

They made that turkey just shine

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Also called "tooling"?

AuldFartte, GeorgeM and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. johnmilton

Yes, "tooling" is often the term used for coins that have been messed with in this way. It was often done to large cents in the 19th century. Back then it was considered to be okay in some circles.

The collectors of my father's generation graded such coins "Basel State - 1", today known as Poor-1. Sometimes you don't know where the re-engraving leaves off.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Re-engraved details is a more specific kind of tooling, yes. In the case of this poor coin, "Re-Engraved" would probably be put on the label. Here's the difference per the NGC glossary:

TOOLED - Refers to either the smoothing of a coin’s fields to remove scratches, corrosion and other forms of damage or to the restoration of lost details through use of a graver or knife.

RE-ENGRAVED (OBV) - When the obverse of a coin that has had worn or damaged details replaced through the use of engraving or chasing.

I more commonly see "tooled" when there has been a spot removal, corrosion removal, or some sort of smoothing of the fields. So, re-engraved is tooled, but tooled encompasses more sorts of alterations.

ZoidMeister and Kentucky like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone is not going to be happy when they figure out what they bought. Tough lesson at that price level.

YoloBagels and Paddy54 like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

There is actually a pretty decent chance that whoever bought it knew what they were buying. It's hard to say what the grade would be, but at the end of the day it is still a 1794 Half Dollar. A problem free VF goes for $9000.

9. johnmilton

And one in Good-4 is on the Grey Sheet for $2,500. This thing will not sell as a VF to anyone who knows what they are doing. An expert would stay away from the this piece. I won't pay $500 for it because it's an eyesore.

In an honest world, the buyer is down about $2,000. In a dishonest world, he'll make a bundle selling it to a fool.

Beefer518, NSP, YoloBagels and 2 others like this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

I absolutely agree that it wouldn't sell as a VF - but to get something with good details (even if they are after-market), there is still demand for it. Would I buy it for a decent price? Heck no. But there are some who would look at that and say "That has really good detail, even if its re-engraved. I'll pay for it." I agree they overpaid for it - but it does still have appeal and value to some people.

Essentially, it has "apparent" AU details for a VG price.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

After looking at that eye, it's a Battle Of The Bands in my head between "King Tut" and "Walk Like an Egyptian"...

Garlicus and johnmilton like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Too bad someone ruined what was a decent example once. I wouldn’t touch it with a40 foot pole

Paddy54 and manny9655 like this.
  13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call social distancing.

14. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Honestly? Looking at the eagle I would have guessed Fake coin.

15. Kentucky

Those old eagles do look weird...

16. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Just looks too clear and sharp for the type to my eye

17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

In ancient coins (from which the terms were derived), these two designations are one and the same.

18. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

Takes a lot of guts mixed with insanity to ruin a valuable coin like that.

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Here’s another one

F42B2108-3A4D-400B-886B-A78F1727D08E.jpeg
    E2B9A206-6EEB-4C38-A80F-374473070758.jpeg

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Kentucky

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Smoothed obverse surfaces and reengraved hair. It’s not as bad as the half but still pretty awful

Draft saved Draft deleted