An experiment with Verdi-care.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Dec 8, 2012.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Ok, I have treated a few coins with mild verdigris with outstanding results. So I decided to put Verdi-care to a bit more extensive test. Now this test has been running about 2 weeks and must say I am almost as impressed as I was with the results on a coin with only mild Verdigris.
    Ok 1st here is the untreated penny I will post the other stages further down.
    001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

More to come...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to see how it comes out.

4. mrweaseluv

Ok I started with a nice long 2 week soak.. here is the torture chamber...
    008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

A lot of it is gone, and I suppose what's left would only come off by breaking the bonds with an acid or something.

6. mrweaseluv

After soaking for 2 weeks I took the coin out last night and worked over the stuborn clumps a bit with a toothpick and a Q-tip and allowed it to dry over night.
    This is what I woke up to this morning.

Before.. After
    001.jpg 015.jpg
    002.jpg 014.jpg

As you can see fantastic results and a well conserved coin. Still not something I would use on proof coins but certainly works fantastic on those infected with verdigris.
    If the 1st tests I did, didn't convince me completely, This one has.
    Very very impresive product!

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

HA, I missed this post.....thanks for sharing and the kind comments. Honestly, that coin had very heavy verdigris and was not a good conservation candidate. However, it did make for an intereting experiment. That's a world record soaking time!

8. mrweaseluv

Hehe yeah was not really a candidate for conservation it was more trying to test the limits of VC. In this case I selected a coin that appeared to have no other issue then the verdigris. What I wanted to see was if a "long" soak had any additional effect over a short one. In this case I definately have to say it worked much much better then I expected. If nothing else this collector strongly approves of your product :D

9. afox

afox sometime collector

Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate the time it took to do this write-up with post photos.
    Very helpful.

10. Scubalou

Scubalou Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing - just trying to learn, very helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted