An expensive new interest

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm in trouble. I like coins with animals on them, especially bears and birds of prey. Recently I discovered the Royal Canadian Mint's silver coins. There are so many and they are so nice! But so expensive. I want to buy everything but it's not a good idea for me financially. Normally I prefer older circulated coins but I just love the designs. Hold me back!

Here are two I got today. They look much better in person. The scanner doesn't capture the shine of the silver. 2015 canada 2 dollars wolf.jpg 2015 canada 5 dollars hawk.jpg

sonlarson, jj00, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Canada is making loony ....toon charters now also, look it up. I like the wild also!

4. Hiddendragon

Some of their stuff is pretty stupid but they have some really nice stuff too.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I have been collecting the wildlife series for years.

6. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I think that RCM is over producing too many different weights and starting to duplicating designs. I have 3/4oz, 1oz, 1 1/4oz and 1 1/2oz coins all in different series. Polar bear and now Polar bear with cub are pretty similar as are others.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of what I already have but I made a decision yesterday that I'm going to avoid any new RCM series but continue with those already started. The Birds have just completed and the loony series anyway holds no interest for me.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hold you Back, you ask. No way. I'm encouraging you to have fun with this hobby and build that collection of yours. :)

Hiddendragon likes this.
  8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I picked up one of those 3/4 wolves. And I loved it so much I got another one! I also have a 2011 wolf that I like as well.

9. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

How unhappy would you be today if you had gone gung-ho on modern silver in early 2011 at nearly $50/oz? At least now the price of silver is relatively stable and sensible. I still have a few libertads, maples and Britannias that I bought at $39. Fortunately, it really was only a few!

Hiddendragon likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As long as people keep buying them, the RCM is going to keep pumping them out. Not a fan myself, but I don't like bullion/NCLT.

kidromeo likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Agreed, I always wonder what the people think who bought when it was so high. If they regret it or still think the economy is going to collapse. I'm buying as a collector so even if silver gets really high again I don't plan to sell, so I'd prefer prices stay low.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Canadian Mint also plans to issue new designs of the country's circulation coins in 2017. And currently people can vote for their favorite designs:
    http://www.mint.ca/store/coin-design-contest/contest-vote-form.jsp

For the five denominations there are five categories (Passions, Wonders, Achievements, Character, Future), each with five design suggestions. If you are a Canadian citizen or resident, you can vote ... as often as you wish. :)

Christian

13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I've got the Falcon one, and the 1.5 oz one with the Arctic Fox.

These dang Canadian coins always tempt me when at a coin show, mostly because the dealers "forget" to bring their World Coins. When that happens, I end up empty-handed at coin shows. So, I usually just buy something silver. And it usually ends up being one of these.

Yeah. The time to buy precious metals, if there ever is a time, is right NOW, I would think.

14. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

While I don't really like mints pumping out too many issues; I really like the Canadian silver face value coins and looking to dive in as soon as I can find an Asian RCM distributor who supplies to India.

15. Hiddendragon

I have several more coming too that I haven't received yet. There are a few 50 cents coins with Labrador retrievers, some 50 cents with birds and a few silver bullion coins with bears that I ordered. I kind of went on a spree.

lucyray likes this.
  16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

That's why you collect something that you enjoy and leave "investing" out of collecting.

17. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Ah...the dangers of collecting NCLTs. They come fast and furious these days.
    So far you're ok, but if it becomes worse you may need an:
    "Exornumaticism"

The ritual is simple and painless.

First you must wear this shirt to protect yourself from evil "enGravers"

Shake-Your-Moneymaker-Coin-Theme-Tacky-Ugly-Sweater-Womens-Size-Medium-M-510x510.jpg
    Shake-Your-Moneymaker-Coin-Theme-Tacky-Ugly-Sweater-Womens-Size-Medium-M-2-510x510.jpg

Second you will be showered with these coins until you are cured.
    somaliaguitar12.jpg

Jason Hoffpauir and Hiddendragon like this.
  18. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Nevertheless...I too like the animal series.

19. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

But the coins pictured in this post are bullion coin, technically goes along with wherever spot price is at.

20. Hiddendragon

I admit I have purchased some NCLT recently because I was trying to build up my collection of coins with a few specific animals on them, and there are some really neat ones in that genre. I do feel bad about myself after doing it though. Don't worry, I'm still a collector of real, older coins. This is just something pretty to put off to the side.

21. Hiddendragon

Here are some new ones I got today. 1996 canada 50 cents bears.jpg 1997 canada 50 cents lab1.jpg 1997 canada 50 cents lab2.jpg 1997 canada 50 cents newfoundland.jpg 2012 canada 20 dollars.jpg

sonlarson, rooman9 and jlblonde like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted