An Exciting Addition to my Collection of Cents of 1794

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Package delivery came yesterday and brought me this:

:):):).

1794 cent s-45 OBV VVGGPP !!! - 1.jpg 1794 cent s-45 REV VVGGPP !!! - 1.jpg

KSorbo, AcesKings, dwhiz and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Nice details (jaw hits table)!

Paul M., Randy Abercrombie and Eduard like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

One word sweet

Randy Abercrombie and Eduard like this.
  5. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Wow. How many do you have? What’s the deal with 1794?

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That, my friend, is a question that is difficult to answer.:)

It goes beyond the fact that they are pretty.

For me, and possibly also for the many dedicated 1794-cent collectors, it may have something to do with the fact that they were the first mass-produced coinage in the U.S.A - the money of the working man in early America. Intimately tied to the lives of ordinary people - there is something very 'quaint' about them.

There are also many varieties to chose from, many obverse and reverse dies, all different, were individually hand cut to produce a large number of varieties. You can appreciate the die-makers skill at its best when its translated into copper.

Paul M., GenX Enthusiast, NSP and 6 others like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A real beauty

Eduard likes this.
  8. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Beautiful.

Eduard likes this.
  9. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Stunning. So is this the head of 93?

What is with is the "dagger" pointing to Ms Liberty's neck? I see they all have it, but cant figure out what it is supposed to be.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin. Congrats!

Eduard likes this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow, that is one beautiful example, congrats.

Eduard likes this.
  12. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

There is die crack between the I & C in America that should give it away but I can't find it in my book.
    (I'm looking under "94" head)

Regardless...Wonderful coin.

Update...I think I got it...Rev T (45,NC-5)?.
    Die crack between T & A and piece of something after A in America, also berry in bow.
    Can't find obverse...My book says die crack through 7 is always found with this pairing & no curl.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Eduard likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Beautiful Eduard one of my favorite coins the 1794 liberty cap. Always has been for over 35 years. That and the flowing hair dollar and the draped bust anything were from the time I was a YN on. I just have one example myself. A very pretty though slightly crusty S 61. I love examples like this and yours where the surfaces aren’t too porous and the details strong

GenX Enthusiast and Eduard like this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

No, it’s one of Head of ‘94 varieties.

A Head of ‘93 in this condition would sell for a 5 - figure price.

15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

The "dagger" is the pole to the cap used in this design, which is actually called the "Liberty Cap" Cent. The liberty cap is a symbol of liberty and was first used in France. This link gives you adidtional information to this beautiful coin design:
    https://libertycaplargecent.com

As mentioned, this is not a head a '93. The 1794 head of 1793 cent has a slightly different bust design and the space between T and Y in Liberty lines up with the junction of the hair and the forehead (that is an easy way to attribute them).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That appears to be a gorgeous example of an early cent. Rather high grade, and appears to not have too many problems.

Is there something more exciting about this one than a typical 1794 cent? (which is exciting enough on its own)

Eduard likes this.
  17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yessir! your assumption is correct - this would be a somewhat special early cent, at least for those who collect them, like I do.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

@Eduard,

Your 1794 cent collection spirals my spirit into an existential crisis with each one of your new additions--I am clearly not doing collecting right when I lay my eyes upon these beautiful coins.

Superb example, thank you for always sharing!

Eduard likes this.
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@tmoneyeagles, thank you for the kind words.

Collecting early copper, including Colonials has been very fulfilling and provided much pleasure and opportunities to learn. - possibly you will be inspired to start collecting them?

tmoneyeagles and Paddy54 like this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

You are absolutely correct with regard to the attribution: this is S-45, die state II.
    The Obverse is 18, and the reverse is V (per Breen), which S-45 shares with NC-5.

Obverse 18 is characterised by the heavy, separated locks, and reverse V by diagonal streaks due to chips or slivers out of the die. Further, a center dot at the left upright of N and a lump (berry?) within the left bow.

NC-5 is extremely rare with only 2 known examples.

S-45 is more plentiful with up to 45 known, but rare enough to be assigned an R-5+ rarity rating.
    I purchased this specimen unattributed and consider myself very fortunate.
    A significant coin (to me) given that the Condition Census - top 12 examples - is populated by 5 coins in VG condition.

21. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I see the hair and it's obvious now.
    Is that what caught your eye first or the berry?

Either side is a "holy-smokes" moment from what I can see but I'm just starting to understand it.

The condition would be great for a R-1 coin but this is a 5+

Super find!...Congratulations.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted