Featured An examination of the counterfeit slab epidemic. Scope and advice.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 20, 2020.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The device works by using an electromagnetic field to induce an electrical current in the metal being tested. This current creates its own magnetic field, which is measured by the device. The nature of the magnetic field produced is very highly alloy specific, so it would be very difficult to successfully create a base-metal alloy that will fool the machine

Santinidollar and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The problem is that the measurement is a single number. If they were measuring several dimensions separately it might be harder, but I think it comes down to a simple ratio of permeability and resistivity. All the rest is looking up expected values based on coin composition and dimensions. (This is from reading their patent, not from any inside information on their circuitry.) That should make spoofing a simpler task.

micbraun likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's very depressing that we need something like this to verify alloy content. :yack:

Eventually, I think the TPGs will run all submitted coins -- or older slabs -- through some MRI or CAT scan thingy that checks the coin.

And with CPUs today, can probably look at the type of slab...the plastic insert....and then check to make sure that the total weight is within tolerance, besides checking the metal content.

5. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

This one scans OK...

30724334_10109562988102000_7578254336757596160_n.jpg

1806_C-1_Source.jpg

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

7. Jack D. Young

Yep, eBay removed both the 1877 and 1909-S VDB after I reported them; they are going after this '55 sold earlier in the month by the same seller.

Untitled.jpg

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What they really need to do is call the FBI since this is mail fraud....punishable by $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'll try to find the photos that I took but I had a guy try to sell me some MS 63 2 1/2 dollar gold Indians in fake PCI green label holders. IT was obvious the coins were xf 45 not even PCI would miss that. The coins looked real I think he was just trying to get a premium between melt and MS 63. He was a Chinese seller. I see him at shows every once in a while and stay away from him. I took photos and looked at online example of the slabs and you labels were just off enough also.

Jack D. Young and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. Jack D. Young

Latest from the internet yesterday...

obv-comp.jpg
    cert.jpg

11. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Nice presentation very informative!! That baseball guy must be a counterfeit coin dealer! Smiles!

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Never-mind such a misinformed uneducated poster wasn’t worth the response but further insane baseless libel.........

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  13. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

So let me get this straight...
    Counterfeiters are going to produce coins with perfect die cracks & many other almost microscopic imperfections to match the PCGS certification photos?
    -Or-
    Are they going to put fake coins in fake holders & then hack PCGS and upload their high resolution photos in place of the real ones?

Coins without TrueView will be the new "raw" in a few years.
    Most probably won't touch them w/ 10' pole.

Look at the top registry sets...Most all are TrueView.
    NGC is nice but come on...I'd be #1 there and I'm lucky to break top 10 at PCGS.

Sorry if you have 500 OGH slabs but that's what it's looking like.

14. TypeCoin971793

At the moment, neither is the case. To do so would be *extremely* difficult. I suppose hacking the website would be easier, but people would quickly notice

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

No. Most coins don't exhibit die cracks, and a lot of the photos from NGC are lower resolution and do not show "microscopic imperfections". The intent is not to make a perfect copy, but one good enough to fool new collectors. Those of us discussing here are not the general target for counterfeiters. I have already said that PCGS Gold Shield is the most secure authentication method. I'm not the one attacking PCGS here, that's @TypeCoin971793 . I have stepped away from this conversation because it got out of hand (myself being mostly to blame for that). Please kindly respect that I've said all that needs to be said on the topic.

16. Jack D. Young

They have gotten pretty good at their process; you can see how well even marks are duplicated among these 3 struck counterfeits, all currently in genuine top TPG holders.

my-3.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Dima

Dima Member

Pretty great post. I've skimmed the pages and saw a few images highlighting side-by-side comparisons of fake and real holders. Is there a single site/source for a comprehensive gallery to review?

I tend to buy many of my coins in PCGS holders from eBay. What is the risk associated with "trusted" vendors? (Ie. AMPEX, L&C Coins, David Lawrence, etc.) I don't mean to suggest these folks would knowingly sell counterfeits or fake slabs; more so wondering if some of these vendors have added authenticity verification?

Edit - I only buy from US vendors with reputable feedback. Just wanted to throw it out there :)

Edit 2 - Well, this thread sufficiently scared me. Aside from the coins I sent in myself, now I believe all my slabs are altered and contain counterfeit coins.

18. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

Regardless of who I buy it from, if it isn't TrueViewed, there is a box waiting when I get the coin. I'll look at it under the scope & in hand for awhile but it generally goes out the next day for a re-slab or X-over.

David Lawrence
    Great Collections
    Heritage
    Stacks & Bowers
    US Coins
    APMEX

All have 30 returns, along with others.
    I use the Express service which usually costs about $100 per coin.

I don't buy at shows anymore without TrueView.
    I just consider it a new reality.

So far as the 1806 coins...I can't tell anything from the front but the rear has a transfer mark above "of" that is the same and a tick above the "L" & on the "N", "A"(in half)
    It would get past me for sure but you copper guys are on another level.

Dima likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not really

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Green. Hows it working out. Are you using a your bag or your mask. We want to know

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The wife tells me to put on the mask when I go out to purchase essential items. The Guber of my State tells me to put on a mask when I go out in public......

I follow orders........

Draft saved Draft deleted