An engraving/polishing tool struck through? '65 Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Vegasnay, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

IMG_4839.JPG At first I thought it was pmd but as I got it under a microscope I'm fully convinced it's something struck through the NIT of UNITED on reverse. Is anyone familiar with the types of tools used in engraving at the mint? I don't have my ruler handy but I'd say it's 2-3 mm long. Any guesses to what it is? Oh & what makes that 'stretched' look on the coin? I know orange peel is a worn die but would that also cause this leathery look? (Last photo)
    IMG_4854.JPG IMG_4869.JPG IMG_4864.JPG IMG_4870.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They don't engrave the coin itself but the Die that is used to strike the blank Quarter Planchet. If that area the Die was incused then the area in question on your Quarter would be raised not incused.

There are Strike Through errors. That is when a foreign object gets struck on the Blank Planchet when it is being struck. The object could be struck into the coin or fall off.

Vegasnay likes this.
  4. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

Hey Paddyman! I understand about engraving the die & not the coin, of course they don't engrave every coin. I'm just trying to understand how something in between the coin & the die would leave a raised mark. Maybe you got confused when I said it was an engraving tool...I didn't mean it happened during the engraving process, I'm just trying to figure out what the object looks like. The one thing that fits (maybe) is the tip of a small engraving tool..or a really tiny drill bit lol.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  5. paddyman98

Yes I am confused. Because you overthought the issue you see. It's very simple

The pictures you show is incused into the Quarter, correct? So it's possibly struck through. Could be anything.. Coin fragment, debris but I don't think a piece of engraving tool. That's not how Dies are created.

I see those tools at the dentists office :doctor:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Vegasnay likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't think of a reason for any engraving tools to be anywhere near a coining press.

justinberry and Vegasnay like this.
  7. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

I didn't overthink the issue, I was just trying to come up with an idea of 'what' the object could be. For example it's more appealing to have a coin that has wires or gauze struck through than it is to have a coin with 'something' struck through. (The photo with the tools were from an engravers vintage set that went to auction so not dental tools..but yeah I know what you mean)
    Was just trying to have fun, guess texting a thread in forums doesn't bring out my personality very well. Thanks for the info Paddyman!

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

Yeah so I've heard.. I've never been on the tour. Well hell, I guess my coin is struck through with 'something'...how boring.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Maybe a piece from a broken die. Could have been junk that was stuck in the die and it fell out and was pressed into the coin. We won't ever know but still a fun coin.

Vegasnay likes this.
  10. paddyman98

:jawdrop: got it... I understand. Some people don't get my humor sometimes and get all crazy on me.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep, engraving tools are used to produce the artist's rendering, but that is where their use ends. The rendering is then plated to create a galvano. A reducing lathe is then used to start the minting process.

Chris

Vegasnay and paddyman98 like this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey! Hey! Hey! Be on the lookout for the 1234554321th edition of Paddy's book, "I DIDN'T SAY EVERYTHING YOGI SAID I SAID!"

Chris:):):):):)

Vegasnay and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

PMD - there's a 'hit' from something
    there; it's not a struck thru.

ldhair, Kentucky and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted