An eBay item

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wingnut6999, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

I need a 96o Morgan to complete my 96 set. I found this one marked xf and a starting bid of .99. I was the only bidder with 18 hrs to go. I got a bid cancellation notice from eBay with no explanation. This same item is now relisted with a buy it now price of 155. Wish the seller had contacted me first with an explanation. Hope he never sells it. Lol 96morganoobv.jpg 96morganorev.jpg

ominus1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

He did you a favor........you can do better. Looks possibly cleaned to me.

ominus1 and TheFinn like this.
  4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

That practice is not uncommon. Sellers panic that it won't sell for what they want it to and cancel. You never get an explanation.

jafo50 and ominus1 like this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think 99 cents would have been a great price on that coin. $155, no.

dwhiz and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

that coin is a turd, you're a lot better off not wasting your money on it.

Heater likes this.
  7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

It's not a very honest (not sure if that is the word I'm looking for) thing to do. If I am selling something on ebay and want $20 for it, I'm going to start it at my break even price. (I have a nice formula to calculate this.) I don't think it's fair to pull the bid if you put it for .99.

jafo50 likes this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

That is a Chinese fake. The seller is a moron. He did you a favor.

dwhiz and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

I once had a won bid pulled after I scored a nice deal. I paid for the coin, so I made a stink with eBay customer service, received a refund, and left an appropriate review. That was the last time I bid on eBay....

10. IanC

IanC Numismatist

Okay coin...not for $155. For $0.99, awesome deal :) $0.01 under face! Based on the pictures, though, it looks like it could have been cleaned, which makes it even less worth it. It probably would have gone up significantly over $0.99 by the end of the 18 hours, though.

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Agreed.
    Has the look of a cleaned coin with dark toning added in an attempt to cover the evidence.

IanC and green18 like this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think our work is done here...........

13. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

That Morgan looks just like the Chinese knock offs that they are pushing. It is one of the years that they had about 10 of them on an auction web site Invaluable. I sent them a message , and they told me that all the coins they were selling, came from a really old man that collected these since he was a young man. That there was no way it was a fake . On another page in their auction they had a Standing Liberty 50 cent with a 1969 date on it. Oops someone really goofed up there !! Dillan

Omegaraptor, Santinidollar and IanC like this.
  14. IanC

IanC Numismatist

LOL. 4 decades too new on that Standing Liberty.

15. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

The most I would have paid was melt. Does have alot of details. Glad it got yanked, jus didn't like the way it was done.

16. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What tells you that it is a Chinese Fake?

17. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The toning pattern is associated with that seen on Chinese counterfeits (and by associated, I mean exactly the same) and it doesn't look like it's made of silver.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well, the 1896-O is a coin that jumps into really big bucks in MS grades. If it’s fake, it’s bait for the stupid.

@Omegaraptor If you’ve got some example pictures around or a link to some, it would be great to see them. You’ve got my curiosity up.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed it’s a fake. A couple years back I won a 2 cent piece with a huge die crack, AU or better grade and rotated reverse for a very low price. I was ecstatic. The seller contacted me and said it was a listing error by a member of the team and no longer available. I was disappointed, but he refunded and even sent me another 2 cent coin, with rotated reverse as an apology, so we both walked away as satisfied as possible.

roman99 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted