An Eastern Severan Victory commemorated

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Mar 2, 2018.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Before his Victory over the Parthians in the east Septimius Severus issued coins to commemorate his victory over the tribes of the Arabs and the Adiabenici. The reverse is thought to refer to the victory over Nige. To hide the fact that this was a civil war, it is phrased as victory over Arabs and Adiabenians, who aided Niger's cause.

This coin is errorneously described and attributed in RIC. RIC IV 466 has the same reverse legend, listed as IMP VII but this legend is probably a mis-reading of IMP VIII probably caused by the last I being after the bust as on this example. RIC 466 however is Victory with wreath and trophy which is probably another error as all known examples occur Victory with wreath and palm though occasionally the palm is missing in yet another error.

Septimius Severus denarius - RIC -
    Obv:– L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII-I, Laureate head right
    Rev:– ARAB ADIABENIC, Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm (R of ARAB corrected over B)
    Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 196-197
    Ref:– Cohen -, BMCRE -, RIC -.

Here with palm
    [​IMG]
    Here missing the palm
    [​IMG]
    I have recently acquired (through a parivate sale) another variation where ADIABENIC is missing the leading A in error leaving us with ARAB DIABENIC.
    [​IMG]

Alegandron, chrsmat71, TJC and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins and history!

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coins Martin.

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Neat historical coins Martin! Funnily enough, the other day I was listening to the Emperors of Rome podcast and Septimius Severus' Parthian victory was discussed.

https://player.fm/series/emperors-of-rome

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am a strong believer in the idea there are no Laodicea IMP VI or VII coins with all reported being failure to see the I or II beyond the point of the bust. My favorite is this 'clear' IMP VI
    rh2920bb1825.jpg

which is an obverse die link with this IMP VI-II.
    rh2930bb1365.jpg

Alegandron, randygeki, Bing and 2 others like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat coins Martin

10. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Very cool OP coins!! Always love these SS posts! Thanks for sharing the coins and the knowledge!
    Cool coins and info too; as always!

Draft saved Draft deleted