An early US dollar coin made into jewellery

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gxseries, Jul 4, 2021.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know if it's authentic or not. I just don't know those coins well enough. But it's not something I would add to my collection at any price.

Hookman and jamor1960 like this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Sold for a crazy price! I mean it's rare but it's one of those sales that leaves me thinking, what were the bidders thinking? :D That said, I don't know anything about the rarity scale on these, maybe it was a steal of a deal but just not for me at all. :(

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It’s probably genuine, but when are you too lazy to take the item out of a plastic sleeve to take the photo to sell it? The pictures don’t tell you if it’s a genuine item that has been considerably modified or a fake that has had the same treatment.

fretboard likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar is not that scarce as early coins go. Unlike some things, they are always available for a price, which has increased greatly over the last 40 years. I bought my first one for $1,100 and sold it for $5,700 25 years later.

That selling price was on the lower side because the piece had adjustment marks. In the old days the mint adjusted the weight of planchets that were too heavy by filing off the excess metal before the coin was struck.

fretboard and ksparrow like this.
  7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

If it's genuine, I don't think the addition of holes and stones was an improvement; but to each his/her/their own.

Hookman and fretboard like this.
  8. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

IF those stones were emeralds, ruby, sapphire, it might be worth it... BUT, he doesn't say.

9. Raymond Houser

Raymond Houser Active Member

It is interesting. Even though it's not inscribed, it might fit into a love token collection. What is even more amazing is that people are asking over $2500 for officially graded, holed and plugged 1795's in VG.

Hookman and charley like this.
  10. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

This coin, in this condition, I think is way over priced.
    For one, it has been altered and is no longer an original coin. It is more or less a graffiti piece.The addition of the stones doesn't, in my opinion, add any extra value, because the stones are so few and so small, they aren't worth much at all, if anything.
    In all honesty, I know this seller and have been buying coins and other things, mostly watches and Sterling Silver flatware, from him for 4 or 5 years. Last year I bought from him a spooned 1962 GWQ that had been made into a ring. I gave $10.49 for it.
    I haven't been buying much on eBay recently, but if I had seen this when it was first listed, I may have bid $20 - $25 on it. I wouldn't have won it but I would've had it on my bid list and watched it go up until it sold.

It's too bad that eBay no longer allows bidders to see other bidders names. You used to be able to contact other bidders and chat back and forth, and even warn them about bad sellers, but eBay stopped all of that in order to protect it's profits.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Even if they're genuine gem stones, at those small sizes, they are virtually worthless. Stones that size are usually the byproduct of cutting larger stones into faceted gems. The larger the finished, faceted, stone, the more value it has. The small "chips" are given a few facets and then used to decorate cheaper jewelry. A jeweler or jewelry salesman will never tell you that they have very little value, but if you were to take some stones like that out of some old, broken jewelry and offer to sell them to a jeweler or some other jewelry person, they would not want to buy such small stones.

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. I'll assume the coin is genuine for the moment. The buyer isn't buying a 1795 dollar anymore, but rather a 1795 dollar made into jewelry long ago. As such, it is unique. Too bad one of the stones is missing. The person who had this done had to be reasonably well-off. Too bad there isn't a personalized inscription on it, as well. The only coins with inlaid stones I've photographed in an extensive collection of this kind of stuff are a $20 Lib. and a $2 1/2 Indian, as far as I can recall.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

neat item, tho, the price seems high

Hookman likes this.
  14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted