An Early Arab-Byzantine AE Fals

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, Apr 26, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here is an imitation follis, or fals from AH 41-77 or 661-697 CE, that I acquired last July.

As you can see, it parallels the design of the follis of Justinian I, Antioch mint (Theopolis), very late in his reign (year 28) .

Arab-Byzantine, Umayyad Caliphate Æ Fals. Uncertain pre-reform period, AH 41-77 / AD 661-697. ...NLLDSOL..., half-length bust of Justinian II or Justin II facing, wearing crown with pendilia and holding globus cruciger / Large M: ANNO and XXXϚII downwards to left and right, THЄЧP in exergue. 19.80g, 37mm, 5h.

About Good Very Fine.

What are your impressions? Are there other examples out there?

Thanks

Arab-Byzantine, Umayad Caliphate AE Fals, AH 41-77 19.80 grams, Roma auction 2019.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

It looks like a Byzantine follis of Justinian. The Arab imitations were sloppily made.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I purchased this one described as an imitation from Syria

Pseudo-Byzantine, early Islamic coinage from Syria, c.647-664AD obv.jpg
    Pseudo-Byzantine, early Islamic coinage from Syria, c.647-664AD rev.jpg

Parthicus and robinjojo like this.
  5. robinjojo

I thought it could be, but the obverse legend seems non-standard for a Justinian I follis, unless I'm missing something. Perhaps it could be that the die engravers, at this mint and at this point in Justinian's reign were just careless with the legend.

Also I read online that very good imitations of this follis were produced in the seventh century by early local Muslim rulers in Syria.

6. robinjojo

Actually, the year is 38, not 28 - need new glasses.

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Something is very odd about this coin. Justinian coins from his late years are smaller than this. All the DO examples from Year 31 or later are at most 34 mm. The reverse is very well engraved, as is the portrait, but the obverse legend is nonsense lettering. Of course, it has to be of Justinian because only he had a reign with a date like that. I am unaware of any "Arab-Byzantine" coins in the 37 mm size range. I don't know what to conclude about it.

For a page on coins of Justinian from Antioch, see here:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/interesting/Justinian.html

Magnus Maximus and Pellinore like this.
  8. robinjojo

Thanks

Yes, this coin is different when compared to the late issues of Justinian I. I found a similar example online last night, through VCoins:

[​IMG]

Here's a link:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/pa...ch__final_year_of_reign_/1024374/Default.aspx

The coin that I purchased came from Roma Numismatics. I can only assume that the Arab/Byzantine attribution is based mainly on the obverse legend, although there are other minor stylistic differences as well. Also, note that the VCoins example has a garbled obverse legend, but different from the Roma example (variations on garbling I guess).

The portrait on both coins is clearly one of Justinian I and not Justinian II or Justin II. So, the question becomes, could this coin be copied in the 7th century by Arabs in the fledgling Caliphate? Without clear documentation, its a bit of stretch, so I would lean in the direction of a coin issued in the last year of Justinian I's reign.

There was no other bidding on my coin in the Roma auction, so I was able to purchase it at the starting price. As a last year of reign coin, it is scarce and a pretty good buy.

Parthicus and Pellinore like this.
  9. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I looked into the Syria SNAT volumes (Sylloge Numorum Arabicorum Tübingen), but in the Tübingen collections there's no Arabo-Byzantine coin remotely like this.

Like that VCoins description says, apparently the last reign years of Antioch folles show a garbled obverse text. It shows on ASearch, too. So - one's led to judge this is a nice late Justinian follis.

Severus Alexander and robinjojo like this.
  10. robinjojo

Thank you for the ASearch link.

Pellinore likes this.
  11. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Truly bizarre that the reverse has a well executed inscription, but the obverse is so garbled. While it might be that they were engraved by different people, it's surprising that a mint capable of producing the reverse inscription would have let that gibberish on the obverse through.

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I agree with the others saying this is an official Byzantine mint product. Antioch was a bit of a mess in Justinian's reign, what with the earthquake and then the sack by Khosrau I. Some sketchy latin was definitely the least of their worries. :D

Here's a later Syrian imitation under the Persians c. 611-625. This is cruder than these usually are, and overstruck on an Anastasius follis:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.40.00 PM.jpg

And here's an early (c. 640s-650s) Islamic imitation overstruck on half of a large earlier follis:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.44.24 PM.jpg

Pellinore and robinjojo like this.
  13. robinjojo

Here's an Arab-Byzantine fals that I purchased from Roma's July 2019 auction (the same auction that had the Justinian I Theoupolis follis, year 38).

This example is unquestionably patterned on the follis of Emperor Justin II and Empress Sophia Nicomedia Mint.

I think the Arabic year on the reverse translates to year 14.

Arab-Byzantine, Umayyad Caliphate Æ Fals. Scythopolos (Baysan), circa AD 660-680. [CKYΦO] ΠOΛHC, two imperial figures seated facing on double throne, each holding cruciform sceptre; cross between heads / Large M, + above, A below; ANNO to the left, uncertain Arabic inscription to right; NIKO in exergue. DOCAB 82; cf. SICA I 594. 11.06g, 29mm, 6h.

Very Fine. Very Rare.

Arab-Byzantine Umayyad Caliphate Fal, c 660-680 AD Roma purchase.jpg

Pellinore and Severus Alexander like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted