An attempt by the Han Emperor for Silk Road Trade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Western Han Dynasty.

Emperor Han Wudi (141-87 BC). 8 liang (3000 cash). 126g. 55mm. Stylized archaic dragon design. Pseudo-Greek legend on reverse and 2 少府 shaofu chops validating its issue from the Emperor's private treasury.

Liu Che, Han Wudi or the Martial Emperor, was one of China's great emperors. His reign marked the zenith of the expansion of Han influence and territories South of China as well as deep into north western China with his campaigns against the Xiongnu which was a constant threat to China's borders. His reign also marked the expansion of diplomatic ties with the central Asian kingdoms along the silk road with his famous ambassador Zhang Qian deep into Info Greek and Bactrian territories.

IFYUWWFOCE6BEmperorWuofHan3.jpg

This dragon coin was one of the 3 白金三品 Bai Jin San Pin or white gold 3 coin set which was attempt by the famous Han Wudi as monetary exchange tokens to address an economic crisis stemming from the burden of war with the Xiongnu during his reign. This economic reform was suggested by one of his ministers Zhang Tang The 3 sets comprised of the dragon, horse and tortoise designs, sacred beasts within Chinese culture and in monetary value in decreasing order.

Given the opening of the silk road for trade, the predominant medium of exchange is silver, bronze and in some occasions lead. However, given the economic crisis, the closest equivalent of legal tender used was an alloy of tin, lead and traces of silver. Thus the name Bai Jin or white gold given the color. However, the make is primarily lead. The casting of Pseduo Greek characters on the Dragon coin thus supported it's silk road use.

However, whilst the monetary face value is high, the intrinsic value is extremely low (lead tin). Thus this monetary reform failed to achieve its desired goal and quickly discontinued within a year (119 BC). At present, only an estimated 380 specimens were known with 274 pieces currently located at the Ling Tai County Museum, Gansu Province, China.

20180914_162912.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I can't quite make out the design on either side. Can you outline it or is there a line drawing I can view somewhere?

Also, what is that funky headdress worn by the emperor in the picture you linked? Do you have any information about it?

4. Loong Siew

5. Loong Siew

@TIF . The previous post outlines the dragon and the Pseudo Greek legend. As for the headgear, that was the ancient Chinese crown.

RAGNAROK and TIF like this.
  6. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Wow! Now that is a nice acquisition. I was watching it sell live, glad to see it went to someone who’ll truly appreciate it. As you mention, these Bai Jin San Pin are truly fascinating for several reasons, I personally find the fact that passages concerning these rare coins are included in several major historical works to be absolutely amazing. Let alone the nonsensical legends and Shaofu countermarks! Just for those wondering, this is what a complete set of these coins would look like (not mine, sadly):

set.jpg

zumbly, chrsmat71, FitzNigel and 2 others like this.
  7. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Thanks for this write-up !
    I i had encountered this as an unknown piece of metal in a bargain bin sale i would probably have skipped it. Your background story transformed it in a tangible piece of history !

Loong Siew and TIF like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

9. Loong Siew

Thanks... This piece reminds me of the Burmese Mon lead dragon as well.. 20170121_220759.png

chrsmat71, Parthicus and AnYangMan like this.
  10. Loong Siew

Absolutely.. even I would have potentially pass it off as a piece of paper weight... The legends are hardly legible and lead to boot

Draft saved Draft deleted