An As of L. Rubrius Dossenus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Dec 2, 2017.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

This coin was just too much of a bargain to pass up, and I have a soft spot for Republican bronzes anyway. The reverse really does go with the obverse; it’s almost concave, giving it a bit of an odd appearance. It seemed to be a pretty obscure issue, so I dug into its history, which made it much more meaningful to me.

Dossenus.png
    L. Rubrius Dossenus, 87 BC, AE As.
    Obv: Laureate head of Janus, altar with serpent coiled around it between
    Rev: Prow of galley right, RVBRI DOSSEN above
    Crawford 348/5

In 87 BC, there was a dispute between the two consuls of that year, Cinna and Octavius. Cinna sought to reverse the exiles of Sulla’s enemies, as well as to strengthen the rights of the the new Italian citizens who had won their citizenship in the Social War. Octavius took a strong Optimate position and naturally threw his lot behind Sulla. This led to the slaughter of many of Cinna’s supporters and Cinna being driven from the city.

Allying with Marius, the aggrieved Cinna raised an army and marched on Rome. Both sides suffered heavy losses. When a plague broke out and claimed the lives of thousands of soldiers, a deal was reached, allowing Cinna to re-enter the city. This led to a slaughter of Marius' foes, as well as Octavius' execution. I'd rather like to imagine that L. Rubrius Dossenus might have been among those killed, but that's pure speculation. Cinna and Marius were elected consuls for 86, but the elderly Marius died just 17 days into what was his 7th consulship, and Cinna himself was murdered by his own men a few years later, as he prepared to confront Sulla directly.

The coins of L. Rubrius Dossenus were produced in the context of this siege and the accompanying plague. Several of his coins (including mine, although you have to look hard to see it atop the column) depict what can be interpreted as snake imagery. Considering the context of the plague of 87, this is possibly a representation of Asclepius, the god of medicine and healing, who had been called upon by the Romans for assistance in the face of another plague a century prior in 180.

Some other Dossenus coins with probable Asclepian imagery, taken from one of the articles cited below, and Wildwinds, respectively:

Snip20171130_59.png
    L. Rubrius Dossenus, 87 BC, AE as
    Obv: Janiform heads of Hercules and Mercury, club to left, caduceus to right
    Rev: Distyle temple (possibly Tiberina Insula); within a round, serpent-entwined altar, prow to right; L RVBRI DOSSEN beneath

rubria4.jpg

L. Rubrius Dossenus, 87 BC, quinarius
    Obv: Head of Neptune right, DOSSEN and trident behind
    Rev: Victory walking right, serpent entwined around altar before, L RVBRI behind
    Crawford 348/4

Sources:
    - Buildings and Monuments of Rome as Coin-Types: ADDENDA, by Philip V. Hill, published in The Numismatic Chronicle, Vol. 147
    - The Siege of Rome in 87 B.C., by Barry R. Katz, published in Classical Philology, Vol. 71, No. 4
    -Public and Private Places of Worship in the Cult of Asclepius at Rome, by Gil H. Renberg, published in Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome, Vol. 51/52

Volodya, Mikey Zee, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins @SeptimusT ! I really like the AE As, and now want one. Great write-up.

Her are a couple of mine:

RR Rubrius Dosssenus AR Quinarius 87 BC Neptune Victory alter snake Aesculapius S261 Cr 348-4.JPG
    RR Rubrius Dosssenus AR Quinarius 87 BC Neptune Victory alter snake Aesculapius Sear 261 Craw 348-4

RR Rubrius Dossenus 87 BCE AR Den Jupiter Triumphal Quad S 258 Cr 348-1.jpg
    RR Rubrius Dossenus 87 BCE AR Den Jupiter Triumphal Quad Sear 258 Craw 348-1

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great historical tie-in there, I've put an 87 BCE Dossenus on my want list.

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Great coin, @Alegandron. Those are on my radar now, especially the quinarius. I’d love to get my hands on the other as, too, but I think it’s probably even rarer.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Love the coin posts and I appreciate the terrific write-up too!!!

Here's my version.... and a janiform I finally picked up earlier this year...
    Rubricius denarius,RR triumphal chariot.jpg rr janiform furius.JPG rr janoform firius reverse.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted