An Ancient Coin??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by sardor, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sardor

sardor Junior Member

This coin looks like greek or roman. I was looking everywhere to see what kind of coin this is. If you know please help me!! Where are they from? How much are they worth?

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Looks like Hadrian, but we need a reverse pic, and a better obverse pic

stainless

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Definetly Hadrian, but better pics would help

Q

5. Gao

Gao Member

Can you give us the diameter in millimeters as well? And I'm thinking that this is a denarius under poor lighting, but it's hard to tell. Does this picture acurately depict the color, or is it silver or something?

6. sardor

sardor Junior Member

Hi,

Here are some other pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sardor

sardor Junior Member

Hi,

Its a little bigger than a nickel

[​IMG]

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Here are a couple of my Hadrians for comparison. Traci :eating:

Attached Files:

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I think I see the C from SC on the reverse showing the coin is a Roman Imperial so the denominantion is an 'as'. The reverse photo is blurry enough to make it uncertain which way is up. You might do better scanning it on a flat bed scanner but that requires a little care to get right also. I see hints of detail and legend that might make it more fully identifiable but from what there is the coin is a common bronze of Hadrian, Roman Emperor 117-138 AD, from the Rome mint. Value is entirely driven by condition and this one has surface and edge problems that detract from what could be a decent looking portrait coin. I suspect you'd find similar in some dealer's $20 pick out boxes but I doubt many dealers would be interested in buying it as a single coin unless the metal is more sound than the photos.

'Eye Appeal' is important on coins in this bracket. Pretty sells; ugly stays in the box until all the better looking stuff is gone. When it was new, the coin might have bought lunch for one. It is worth at least that much now.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

maybe salus for rev.?

11. Bluegill

Bluegill Senior Member

I didn't start this thread, but I wanted to thank Mr. Smith and every one else who regularly responds and helps with questions like the original post here. The amount of information, presented in a friendly, conversational manner, that I get to browse on this forum is fantastic!

Draft saved Draft deleted