An Ancient Apollo error

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nathan401, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Here is my latest capture from Pegasi Auction. It was the only coin in the auction I was really interested in. I put in the one bid and had no competition. I think it's a beautiful example and I got it at a fair price.
    IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0493.JPG Roman Republic
    Anonymous, 86 BC
    AR Brockage denarius 3.88 g
    Laureate head of Apollo, right;
    Brockage reverse
    RSC anon 226; Cr. 350A/2
    Ex: Pegasi, Ex: C. Hutchins Collection.

Please post your Brockage coins, or Apollo, or whatever else you'd like!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice score! And ancient error..

Nathan401 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very cool!

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. Nathan401

Haha I was just going to tag you!

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It's really cool never ever thought about errors on ancents but ya got to remember with me its a half dime thing....however now with the groat I can afford a goat.:)

Nathan401 likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice capture @Nathan401

ROMAN REPUBLIC - BROCKAGE
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE.JPG
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE

8. Nathan401

Can anyone tell me what the symbol is to the bottom right of Apollo? I don't see it in RSC.

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice example, Nathan. I like to think of these brockages being saved and collected by some ancient Roman who thought they were just unusual and cool to have.

[​IMG]
    ROMAN REPUBLIC

AR Denarius, obverse brockage. 3.81g, 20.9mm. Rome mint, 108-107 BC. L. Valerius Flaccus, moneyer. Cf. Crawford 306/1; cf. Sydenham 565. O: Winged and draped bust of Victory right; mark of value below chin. R: Incuse of obverse.
    Ex CNG 63, 21 May 2003, lot 1128

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's an ancient asterisk :D (a star)

Nathan401 likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Further it is the ligate version of XVI indicating the value od a denarius was 16 asses.

Severus Alexander, Nathan401 and TIF like this.
  12. Nathan401

This was one of those coins that I never knew I needed!! I was on the lookout for my first Greek coin ( I've since remedied that situation) and was dismayed at the opening bids in the auction. They seemed really high. I'm also not a fan of the bid/buy option. I don't like the idea of someone being able to swipe a coin in the middle of a bid war. But no worries, it all worked out!

Justin Lee likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Brockages are interesting because they retain the detail intheir lowest recesses that wear away forst on the 'normal' side. IMHO, grading of brockages should refer little to the normal side but grade the quality of detail transferred to the incuse. Mine below has all but two letters of the legend and the top 3/4 of the dolphin which makes it lesser than a coin that has all of both.

r27180bb0116.jpg

Brockages are not only found on Republicans but the do seem more common there. Below is a Septimius Severus of "Emesa" which I could not resist. It shows well the tendancy for the incuse to spread a bit larger than the normal side.
    rg1460bb2072.jpg

Brockages are almost always of the obverse since that was the side on the anvil and coins sticking to that die would be noticed and removed while those in the upper punch could be missed more easily. This Victorinus or Tetricus reverse demonstrates a period when the portrait was on the upper die and the brockage shows the reverse (COMES AVG).
    rr2010bb1389.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh yeah, that's cool for sure @Nathan401 ! Brockage coin is on my list big time!

Nathan401 likes this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet find!

Nathan401 likes this.
  16. Nathan401

17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I want an an ient bro kage, but one has not found a spot in my budget yet. :(

Here is the temple for Apollo in Pompeii:

E20E7750-337E-4655-884B-BDAAF79D5E25.jpeg D004970A-63C0-4AD4-9BB2-B4FDE48F948D.jpeg

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hmmm... My 1 year old Grandson is Apollo. Does that make me Cronos?

upload_2018-3-14_7-55-55.png
    TROAS Neandria AR Obol 4thC BCE 0.56g 8mm Laur hd Apollo r - NEA N Ram stdng right within incuse sq SNG Cop 446

19. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Here's one of my brockages, of Caracalla and Julia Domna.
    019fo.JPG
    019fr.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted