An amazing opportunity to kick my collection up a notch!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RomanTheRussian, May 23, 2018.

1. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

I was recently approached by a fellow numismatist about an opportunity to acquire some of his coins and I knew I had to act. His collection is world-class, full of amazing coins that define both quality and beauty. If all goes well, I should have the coins in 5 days, so I decided to do a reveal thread to keep things a bit more interesting and suspenseful around here :)

We ended up agreeing on 5 coins. All 5 are amazing and there's no way i can pick any kind of order of preference, so i'm just going to go incrementally from the lowest grade to the highest, revealing one a day until Sunday night.

AU58
    [​IMG]

AU58
    [​IMG]

MS63
    [​IMG]

MS63
    [​IMG]

MS64
    [​IMG]

KSorbo, Stevearino, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh man.... I have recently become quite infatuated with Reales. Can't wait to see the reveals.

ominus1 likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

5. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

Hope everything goes well and you get them. :)
    Can't wait to see the rest.

6. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

This looks extremely familiar... are you on instagram?

7. RomanTheRussian

Thanks! I'm super excited about these.

Hey Yolo, I'm on IG as 8Reales_Collection - you tagged me in that 1806 AU55 NGC 8 Reales the other day.

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Oh man, you know it's gonna be good when even the blurry pics look like stunners :)

Stevearino likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The blurred-out pix made me reload my page twice. LOL

What we can see so far looks nice!

Even the "blurries" look to have some nice toning...

Stevearino, Paul M. and *coins like this.
  10. RomanTheRussian

Hmm... am I not able to edit posts anymore? This might throw a wrench into the whole reveal thing.

11. RomanTheRussian

Well, while I figure out the editing thing - here's today's unscramble

1801-FT 8 Reales in PCGS AU58. Over the years I've had a number of 1801-FT/M over-assayers varieties, but surprisingly not a regular FT. There's one graded higher at MS62 at PCGS, but nowhere near the eye-appeal of this piece.
    [​IMG]

KSorbo, dlhill132, sonlarson and 5 others like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Roman- CoinTalk has a finite editing window- your ability to edit posts disappears after 24 hours(?) or so. I think I just fixed your OP so you can edit it until the end of the month (May 31st at 3:15 PM), but since that's the first time I've used that particular tool in my shiny new Moderator toolbox, I'm not sure it "stuck". Let me know if you still don't have an "Edit" option.

Anytime the closing of the edit window proves to be a stumbling block, just notify the moderators by using the "report" link in the post you want to edit, and request reopening of editing privileges. We can then (temporarily) unlock a post to give you another little while to edit it.

Coming here from CU, the "expiring edits" thing was probably the hardest feature for me to get used to, but I eventually learned to accept it. Now that I'm immune to it, that's a big perk that makes the work of being a moderator all worthwhile.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. lordmarcovan

I just got @V. Kurt Bellman's "Keepin' it Real" pun. It only took me a few days. :hilarious:

RomanTheRussian likes this.
  14. RomanTheRussian

Thanks @lordmarcovan !

I'll keep posting them as replies, then.

Here's today's unscramble - simply the best looking 1791 Mexico 8 Reales I have ever seen. PCGS MS63 and "all there"

[​IMG]

15. lordmarcovan

That's a truly lovely coin. I was about to say a "jawdropper" but I'll hold that term in reserve 'cause we haven't seen the rest yet. ;)

16. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Is Carolus IIII Mexican or just plain Yankee ???

17. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that - I had noticed that editing was no longer available for previous days' posts - I guess it pays to proofread and edit all posts in a timely manner :rolleyes:

Lets-Eat-Grandma.jpg

18. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Bad news ? The comma saved Grandma !!!

juris klavins likes this.
  19. RomanTheRussian

Charlie IV, also known to his closest friends as Carlos Antonio Pascual Francisco Javier Juan Nepomuceno José Januario Serafín Diego, was the son of Charles III of Spain and his wife Maria Amalia of Saxony. He was a better hunter than he ever was a king and he ended-up abdicating the throne in 1808 to his son, Ferdinand VII. The next coin to be unscrambled bears the portrait of Ferdinand VII.

Numismat likes this.
  20. RomanTheRussian

Another day, another coin - this time it's a bit more of a common date, but definitely an un-common grade and look:

[​IMG]

Just one more to go tomorrow!

KSorbo, Stork, Nathan401 and 2 others like this.
  21. RomanTheRussian

Last but not least - 1805 8 Reales in PCGS MS64. Beautiful example of the Narow Date minor variety with nice clean fields. The strike weakness is the only minor downside to an otherwise amazing coin. Not to mention it's my first MS64 in this series ever.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted