Featured An 1864 Stonewall Jackson Medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, May 27, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Stonewall Jack Medal.jpg

It took me about a year to find one of these medals that I liked. Finding one is not that hard, if you know the token and medal dealers, but many of the pieces that are offered have marks, especially rim problems. I was therefore happy to locate this one in an auction, with the added bonus that it came in what I presume to be the original box.

Stonewall Jack Box.jpg

It looks as if the piece has been stored in this box for a long time. As a result, it has a very pleasing layer of toning which makes it look like silver although the piece is made of white medal. It also has very few handling marks, which is an added bonus. I probably paid too much for it, but given that it came with the box and that the state of preservation is well about average, it pleases me.

Stonewall Lamar biggerr.jpg

Charles Augustus Lafayette Lamar

This piece was commissioned by a southern gentleman, Charles Augustus Lafayette Lamar. Charles Augustus Lafayette Lamar was a colorful character. His general attitude was that a gentleman had the right to do what he pleased even if it was against the law. That philosophy would guide his life.

In 1858 Lamar outfitted his private yacht, the Wanderer, and used it to transport 409 Africans from the African Slave Coast to America. The importation of slaves had been against the law since 1808, but that did not matter to Charles Lamar. He landed them on Jekyll Island and was prepared to put them up for sale. In 1859 Lamer was charged and put on trial. During his trial he challenged one of the witnesses to a duel, and bailed out one of the defendants so that he could attend a party. Lamar was convicted of his crime, was fined $500 and placed on a 30 day house arrest. The trial made national headlines.

Charles Lamar had advocated secession long before it became popular in the South. Therefore, it was no surprise when he joined the Confederate Army in 1862 and formed a mounted rife unit, the Lamar Rangers. In 1863 Lamar took some time off from his military duties to represent the State of Georgia in France. While in France, Lamar heard about the death of Stonewall Jackson after the Southern icon was wounded by friendly fire at the Battle of Chancellorsville.

Lamar commissioned Parisian medalist, Armand Auguste Caque, to make the dies and have about 1,000 medals stuck. Lamar's plan was to award a medal to each of the officers and men who served in Jackson's "Stonewall Brigade." Caque was the official medalist to the French king, which give this piece a quasi official sanction from the French Government. One of the problems that the Union side faced during the war was the possible recognition of the Confederacy by England and France. This piece would be the only official Confederate States of America medal.

The medals were not ready when Lamar set out for home, and he had to leave without them. They were delivered in 1864, but by then Savannah, Georgia was in Union hands, and they were delivered to Wilmington, North Carolina instead. From there they eventually found their way into a Lamar cotton warehouse where they sat for many years.

Lamar rejoined the Confederate Army after he returned from France. He was a colonel on the staff of General Howell Cobb. Charles Lamar was killed at the Battle of Columbus while leading a charge against Union troops at end of the war in April of 1865. He was the last well-known southern gentlemen to die during "The Cause."

The medals were discovered in 1894. At that time, it was too late to award them to the members of the Stonewall Brigade. They were donated to the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Confederate Veterans Association, which sold them for $1 each with proceeds used for the benefit of disabled veterans. From there they have become a somewhat popular collector's item, which has begun to receive more attention from the numismatic community.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That's really cool. Great information. How large is the medal?

johnmilton likes this.
  4. Paul Price

Paul Price Member

I own the unique obverse hub that was used to make the obverse die for the Stonewall Jackson medal. It was auctioned off by Joe Levine medals years ago. I also have owned 3 medals. Some have been plated. Mine were not. I had one in a old holder I wish I had kept.
    Takes some looking to find a nice one. Looks like you did. Kudos. A great Confederate period collectable.

Stevearino, johnmilton and capthank like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

2 inches or 50.5 mm

6. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

Excellent Post! I was told the story about Lamar's trial but did not know about the Medal he commissioned. Very interesting man in his time. Thank you for the education!

johnmilton likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great looking medal. Fun history.

johnmilton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted