An 1838 Reeded Edge Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Dec 2, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is another type of the Reeded Edge, Capped Bust Half Dollar, an 1838. This type was also issued in 1839.

The most obvious difference is the coin is valued at "HALF Dol." instead of "50 CENTS." A more subtle difference is noted for the reverse rims. The 1837 design did not provide much protection for the lettering on the reverse. In 1838, the rims were raised.

Many type collectors don't bother with getting both of these minor types. It is included in the complete type set, however.

1838 Half Dollar 2 O.jpg 1838 Half Dollar 2 R.jpg

Obviously this coin is not as nice as the 1837 half dollar I posted earlier. You can play "guess the grade" if you like.

Johndoe2000$, Allan, NSP and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Still nice. Ms 62i feel a slider that got graded ms

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You don't know John very well, but I do - he absolutely would not buy a slider that got graded MS. That's one thing he absolutely hates.

I will agree, however, that this coin is in the 62-63 range based on the large number of whispy hairlines. I don't think it was cleaned, but it looks to have quite a few marks in the fields.

5. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I going with 61 but it might go 62. I have the same type but mine is 1839-O graded PCGS VF-35, GR-1 die marriage. In fact, I bought it from Dave Graham who authored the book on the reeded edge halves-bought that from him too. Very nice guy. He spent a good hour chatting coins with me at last year's FUN show.

I'd give you a picture but I am totally incapable as yet of taking a decent coin photograph. Working on it.

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

7. Johndoe2000$

8. johnmilton

Ooops

This coin is one of those sliders that found its way into an MS-62 holder.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Mainebill and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

That seems about right.

Edit: nice coin btw.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. Johndoe2000$

11. Johndoe2000$

Ooops...:D

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I understand totally. I’ve often paid ms 62 money or more for a really nice 58 so I can see buying this coin as a 62 as well. The money for it is comparable for a high end 58 which this is

13. johnmilton

Coins from AU-58 to MS-64 are my wheelhouse. I rarely buy Gems unless it is 1936 to date Proof.

Mainebill likes this.
  14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The 1836-37 have the denomination as, "50 CENTS"; the 1838-39 have it as, "HALF DOL.". So they really are different types.

Draft saved Draft deleted