Amulet Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Apr 17, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Struck at Ephesos on the Aegean Sea, the following bronze coin has a bee on obverse and a recumbent stag on the reverse. It is worn but quite identifiable. Anonymous, It was probably issued during the first or second century AD. The striking point is the legend on obverse which is, according to many researchers, untranslatable. The legend has a ritual and semiotic meaning like sounds and symbols.
    The coin was also related to the temple of Artemis in Ephesos. It was used as a health amulet to protect against "evil eye" and particular diseases. It weighs 2.08 g.
    BMC 186. What's more ? I shall "talk to the Bees"!..

MagBee O.JPG BeeEphes R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wonderful coin, congrats!! These are awesome and hard to come by. @TIF did a great writeup on hers five years ago, almost to the day... magic? :D

For those who don't click the link, here's TIF's example:
    [​IMG]

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..very kool Charles! ..and yeah, TIF's coin is kool also SA...haven't seen or heard from her inna while, but she's always omni present round thesehere parts.:)

7Calbrey and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting coin @7Calbrey - and I suppose you should keep it to ward off any occurrences of the evil eye here on the boards...;)

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted