Americans on foreign coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jim532, Dec 24, 2020.

1. jim532

jim532 Junior Member

I've recently started seeking out foreign coins depicting American figures.(fictional or real). I have found only a few. Reagan, Elvis, Gen MacArthur, Superman. There must be others. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I could find more?

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

o_O Where did you find those ?

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's an interesting theme idea. A lot of modern NCLT (non-circulating legal tender) commemoratives include Americans on them. JFK must be on dozens of types.

I know the MacArthur you're probably thinking of is that 1947 Philippine commemorative.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m trying to think of when an American would be featured on a circulation issue. It’s seems sort of odd to do that

Paul M. and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Now there's a challenging question. I'm sure there must be some out there. But I can't think of any offhand. Most are commemoratives and/or NCLT and thus not intended for general circulation.

You could say Winston Churchill was half-American, since his mother was- but he doesn't really count.

Paul M. and hotwheelsearl like this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m trying to think of tangentially related American colonies that may have had Americans in their money, but heck even the Philippines had native Filipino politicians and whatnot on their Peso banknotes.

it would seem really odd to honor someone not form your own country on coinage or banknotes.
    In America, the only times I can think of that happening in (non commems) would be the Buffalo Nickel, Indian $5 silver certificate, and Sacajawea dollar.

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If an American ever gets elected Pope, then he'll be on a Vatican coin. Liberia might do it someday. Those are the only situations I can think of, other than maybe a double feature with someone important to the host country.

Edit: Found one! Nikola Tesla is on the Serbian 20 dinar from 2003 onwards. This might not count, since he was born in Serbia, but he did become a naturalized US citizen.

Edit 2: It seems I misread Wikipedia on this. Tesla is only on the 2006 20 dinar, which, like our state quarters, is considered a circulating commemorative.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    lordmarcovan and The Eidolon like this.
  9. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Interesting question! For historical figures on another country's circulating coins, the most likely would be Simon Bolivar. Though considered Venezuelan, he was involved in so many South American countries' independence that he must be on number a number of coins outside Venezuela.

But for US figures, I'm trying to think of someone notable enough as a cultural figure to be on a coin outside the US. I struck out with JFK, Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Pershing, Roosevelt, Ben Franklin, MLK, Twain, Neil Armstrong, etc.
    Just pick a name on Numista and add a filter for "standard circulation coin" to weed out all the commemoratives. I guess American isn't an old enough country to have many towering figures who have become so universal as to be suitable for placement on coinage outside the US.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Looking for that needle in the haystack sort of thing. Germany does have a few commemoratives with JFK that I know of.
    Catalog of unusual coins may be a good place to look.
    Like this Europa Foederata.
    8-17 (18).JPG 8-17 (19).JPG

Steve66, coppers and hotwheelsearl like this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

He was afforded an honorary American citizenship sometime after the 1950s.

Ronald Reagan was depicted on a Philippine Islands commemorative coin in the 1980s.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

13. lordmarcovan

If we're not counting NCLT, then fantasy issues almost certainly shouldn't count. That being said, that's an interesting piece.

14. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

General McArthur. Philippines.
    41.jpg 42.jpg

Steve66 and DEA like this.
  15. Siberian Man

President Kennedy.
    Niue.
    5.jpg 6.jpg

16. Siberian Man

Charles Augustus Lindberg.
    West Samoa.
    13.jpg 14.jpg

17. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Wait....Superman is American??? I thought he was Krytonian. Did he ever get his green card???

Paul M., Razz, derkerlegand and 2 others like this.
  18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Nope, was a Dream Act recipient after his parents sent him to the United States as a child in which he had no say in the matter.

Paul M., DEA, The Eidolon and 2 others like this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

The OP didn't say they had to be circulating coins, so there are a bunch from the usual suspect countries - Liberia, Isle of Man, Niue, Cook Islands, places like that. I picked up this one from my LCS last week from the Isle of Man. I assume it's supposed to be George Washington, though it doesn't actually say. 1976 isle of man 1 crown.jpg

20. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I just picked this one up. Definitely not a circulating coin. I still find it odd the number of American themes that end up on modern world coins.

Tuv202003.jpg

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It's not that odd, rather more like, clever targeted marketing.

Paul M. and DEA like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted