American Silver Eagle p w s

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Basset hound, May 4, 2017.

1. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I detect a bit of eliteism here. "If the coin isn't an ancient, pre 1964, colonial copper, etc. it isn't worth collecting." The basic tenant of coin collecting is to collect what you like. People collect all kinds of coins and metals, but as soon as ASEs are mentioned some people go out of their way to put them down. They are current, they are available, they have a classic design on the obverse, and if purchased in the current year of production, they are reasonably priced. I enjoy collecting an eclectic array of coins and ASEs are one of them. They also happen to be the coins my two children have shown the most interest in and are the most likely to be continued with a minimal investment on their part. I have no delusions about the complete set of Liberty Standing Haves, Franklin Halves, Mercury Dimes, etc. I have, unless my grandchildren become coin collectors, they probably will be sold when I pass on or sold by me when I feel the time is near. It will sadden me, but people collect what people collect and what they can afford plays a key part in that.

I bought the 2006 ASE 20th Anniversary Set from the mint for $100, had them graded, and they came out as 70s for all three. Today that set sells for $850 to $1,000 in 69 they average $350 to $400. I had similar luck with the 25th Anniversary Set, the 2012 San Francisco Set, and the 2013 West point Sets. I don't collect them as an investor, but as a collector, but it's nice to have that kind of appreciation. I buy the mint marked uncirculated ASEs from the mint, I got lucky and got the 2008 with the reverse of the 2007 and it graded as a 70, that coin is valued at $1,000 today, the 69 (which some of you feel is a good alternative to 70 prices) goes for $500. I could go on, but I'll stop. Again, my point is collect what you like, not what someone else tells you to collect. I find it disturbing that people should discourage a new collector from collecting something that pleases them and for a new collector, is affordable and has the potential to then lead them down the track of collecting other more acceptable (and expensive) coins.

baseball21 and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Collect what makes you happy. There's no other reason to do so.

green18 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. It depends what they say next. They are obviously playing games with them trying to destroy the market though. I doubt much was wrong in their initial release, its legally required to be factually accurate.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The mint should use the term "customers" in place of "investors".

6. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I agree. Here's what the FTC has to say: "If you're thinking about buying collectible coins as an investment, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, has three words for you: research, research, research. In fact, the agency says, there isn't a potential investor around who can afford not to spend time researching the coins, the graders who assess them, and the dealers who sell them."

I guess we can add the Mint that makes them to the list.

Michael K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted