American Silver Eagle p w s

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Basset hound, May 4, 2017.

1. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

Hi I'm looking for a American Silver Eagle Philadelphia San Francisco and West Point I'd like to find a MS70. I can find ms69 but no ms70. Has anyone seen any at a good price

ACoinJob likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What year? And why '70? You could save some 'jing' by going '69 or raw.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

What's a "good" price when, for almost all of them, 70's outnumber the other grades combined? In other words, why is a 70 worth a premium when it's not only the expectation but the reality? It's a good illustration of how the buying public sometimes assigns additional value for reasons other than "the coin deserves it."

dwhiz likes this.
  5. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

I was just think that.
    The year is 2017. I don't know, I can't find much of difference between a 69 or 70 but (The price ) it's something that I'd like to pass down to my son

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you can't tell the difference between a 69 and a 70, you're better off buying the 69. Like Ken said, you can save a lot of money. Too many people have fallen into the trap of buying the slab instead of the coin. So, if you can't tell the difference, you may just buy a 69 in a 70 slab.

Chris

7. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

Well I can find all 3 for about $180 at ms 69

8. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

That is a good point

9. green18

Then go with the '69 or 'raw' because when someone goes to sell, the dealers treat these coins like they are bullion and only offer bullion pricing.

Santinidollar and dwhiz like this.
  10. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

That is good advice
    Thanks

11. SuperDave

This is purely personal opinion - so take it that way - but I don't see the current outlandish overvaluation of 70's by a completely inconsistent grading system surviving into the future with the current level of hype. If you want nice coins to pass down, get nice coins, whatever the number on the slab.

In this particular case, make them 69's. I suspect, with the majority being 70 and all but a few of the rest being 69, anything below 69 is probably bad enough that for another coin it wouldn't be above 65.

12. green18

Actually, get'em in OGP. With all of the folks busting these things out in search of '70's and '69's, the Original Goober packaging is gonna be rare. devil.gif

Santinidollar and Basset hound like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

To me it's 3 ounces of silver worth $50.
    Since they are never meant to be circulating coins,
    I don't understand what the big deal is.

alurid likes this.
  14. green18

You do understand 'collecting', right? Sometimes we collectors go beyond the the bounds of reason. It happens..........:)

dwhiz likes this.
  15. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

Green18

GET OUT OF MY HEAD. I was think that about if they have the 2017 deluxe Silver Proof with the American Silver Eagle San Francisco

16. SuperDave

"Reason" is so far in my past that I haven't seen it in the rearview mirror for years.

green18 likes this.
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The 70's market won't be going anywhere. It has been around for a long time, and newer and younger collectors have embraced it. That ships sailed and something more than a high percentage will be needed to change it. I do agree in one aspect though that for some issues so many get it it isn't really all that special, but then again the market generally reflects that on it's own when they are within spitting distance of a 69.

Overall the market and more specially the internet market has done a good job of policing them for which ones should be worth a premium.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Of course I understand collecting, and I never tell anyone what they should or should not collect.
    I said "TO ME" they are just 3 ounces of silver.

19. green18

That's what I wanted to hear. :)

Michael K likes this.
  20. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

May I suggest you pick up a 1986 P ASE (the first year minted)...you can find one in BU for about $30. Welcome to CT and your basset hound is cool~!

21. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I not sure if this is what you're talking about, but the Coin Vault has a set of 2017 Uncirulated American Silver Eagles (bullion), no mint marks, just listed on the label, from the three mints- West Point, San Fransisco, and Philadelphia in red, white, and blue cores from NGC. They claim that they obtained, through the Freedom of Information Act, which mints did a monster Box of ASEs by the serial numbers listed on or in the box. They're selling the set of three, in MS69, for $169.98 You might want to check their website to see if they're listed there, if not, call the number when the show is on.

Draft saved Draft deleted