American Silver Eagle Album

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SilverTracker, May 21, 2017.

1. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Been thinking of starting an ASE album but wanted suggestions to which one to buy. I do want quality and to be able to see them without removing them and of course the ability to add future pages for future releases.

Thanks ST

Also want to do proofs as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

In my opinion Dansco is the only one to go with. I used to monitor auctions on minor auction sites for these and bought a whole load of them for about $5 each. Now I just fill them as I get the coins and if I need extra pages I just take them from one of the empty folders. That works out much cheaper than buying new pages. I have 6 filled ones, a partially filled one and 8 empty ones for extra pages.

4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I have a Dansco ASE album for business and proof strikes but have not convinced myself to fill it yet. All the proof issues I have are graded examples (pr69) and can't find the logic to crack them out and stuff them in an album and I'm not doubling up on them just to fill an album. I've been thinking about getting a business strike only Dansco album but that's a back burner.
    I see the word "quality" in your post and Dansco is definitely quality as far as albums go but if quality also refers to the ASE's and the preservation of the proof issues you may want to consider a CAPS album. They are a bit pricey when you factor in the cost of the capsules but the proof issues are truly protected.
    Just thought I would muddy the waters with a possible option. :)

5. SilverTracker

Thanks for the information. I checked out the CAPS folder and it is nice. But I scrolled down further on the ebay page and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Interce...hash=item3f770160a5:m:mzvYTD-LWcZS1bk-fDbPzdg

What do you think of this, especially the price.

6. MrBubs

MrBubs Member

New Jersey is not in the U.S.?

Earl Clark likes this.
  7. SilverTracker

What???

8. SilverTracker

What??

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Dansco is the go to.

Littleton if you like nice toning after a few years++

CAPS for ultimate protection and a futuristic look

10. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I have a Dansco also! Really nice quality and looks great.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got my business strike and 'burnished' in an Dansco folder. They've been there (excepting the more recent issues) for nigh on 11 years. The initial ones have developed some 'pleasing' toning. If toning scares you, then go with an Intercept Shield, but I warn you, eventually the toning Gods have their way. Just ask my Ikes.......

Johndoe2000$ and Nathan401 like this.
  12. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

And if you are going to put your proofs in a book, make sure you hang on to all of the original packaging. If you ever sell it, it will be worth a lot more with the packaging.

13. SilverTracker

I totally agree with that. So far all the reputable places I buy from that are selling the Proof ASE's have the mint box and COA. I ordered the album and should be here shortly so I am gearing up to start filling. I will post pics of the album since it is not a Dansco or TAPS to get opinions.

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have a Dansco for my plain old uncirculated ASEs. Nice heft when it's full of silver.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

And gets nicer each year. :)

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I do the Dansco for my uncirculated and one for my proof. Pr ASE 1.JPG Unc ASE 1.JPG

Jwt708 and Santinidollar like this.
  17. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

For the best value Dansco is your best bet. I see lots of them for less than $10 all over Ebay. If you want the best protection a caps album is preferable. ED

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Even better in the heft department is both completed Morgan danscos :)

19. SilverTracker

My American Silver Eagle album came in today. Its the Intercept 1986 - 2003 volume including proof's. One question though, when you put the coins in the Dansco album, do you have to pull the plastic protective strip out then re-insert it?

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  20. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you store the proofs unprotected like that? I get the regular eagles, but at $40 to $50 each, don't you want to protect the proofs a little more?

21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

When I load up a Dansco, I remove the obverse plastic slide, then press the coin up against the reverse slide using gloves so that I don't leave fingerprints. This leaves enough space between the coin and the obverse slide to reinsert the slide without scraping it across the coins. This is more easily done on thin coins than thick ones, but it still works with ASEs.

Draft saved Draft deleted