American Innovations Reverse Proof

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by h.e.-pennypacker, Jul 27, 2020.

?

Are the Reverse Proof American Innovations coins worth collecting?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Maybe - leaning Yes

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Maybe - leaning No

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. h.e.-pennypacker

h.e.-pennypacker Gold and Silver!

I’m thinking the American Innovations Reverse Proof coins could really climb in numismatic value. I was looking at the US Mint website, the initial releases had a mintage of 75,000 and the newest release, Connecticut, has a maximum 50,000 mintage. I’m thinking the Connecticut coin could be the key date coin. I don’t anticipate a mintage for a reverse proof Innovation Dollar going below 50,000. So I’m wondering what some of you with more experience think. I know a lot of people don’t care for the designs or theme. Judging by recent history of similar releases what do you all think of, specifically, the reverse proof varieties of the American Innovations Dollar and it’s numismatic value in the short or long term?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. onecenter

onecenter Member

These coins are being added to my collection for enjoyment and not for their numismatic value.

davdo, goossen, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

You will never know the value. I don't think most people want anything to do with the US Mint 21st Century ballast.

h.e.-pennypacker likes this.
  5. Dima

Dima Member

I've been picking up each of the innovation dollars in proof and reverse proof as they come out because I think they're rather neat. Some designs are better than others, but I like putting together sets. The last few modern series - state quarters, ATB quarters, native American dollars, and presidential dollars to name a few - don't seem to set promising trends in terms of value. These are cool sets to put together, sure; but I wouldn't plan my retirement around these sets as investments.

6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I think Massachusetts (the telephone) is the neatest one so far.
    True indeed.

Dima likes this.
  7. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has burned out of the abundance of Mint Products in the two decades. Meow is planning on being totally done with them after the ATB series ends. But........Will the Cat Hoard allow that to happen?

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. h.e.-pennypacker

h.e.-pennypacker Gold and Silver!

Yeah I think the series is neat, I’ll be getting a Littleton album and start collecting the reverse proofs. Too bad Dansco doesn’t make an American Innovations album, this set won’t match all my others.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Trying to play the, "the mint is making less of this one than the previous one, so this one will be the key and valuable" game is mostly a loser game. Mintages of most mint items have been declining for 50 years.

Buy coins if you love them. If you NEED a series for your collection , buy them from the mint so you know you have them. Speculating on coins from the US mint is a good way of setting a stack of Benjamins on fire.

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Did the Mint drop the mintage due to a lack of interest? Why make 75,000 if you can't sell them?

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I was collecting them, until the mint switched everything to TBD, and their price increased also at the beginning of the year.....

I don't know if I'm going to continue, my normal roll hunting and collecting routine is so disrupted at this point it's all just frustration, I'm probably going to just go on hiatus for a year or two and come back later when things get a little more normalized and reasonably priced.. maybe spend the time cataloging organizing and valuing my collection.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I quit too. I got a roll of the first 2018 to put in my 20 type sets for my 20 Great Grandchildren. I quit Commemoratives about 3 years ago. All the junk they are making to keep up with the likes of The Franklin Mint and other junk manufacturers. The US Mint is making so much or what I call ballast. Like the USPS is making wallpaper. I stopped collecting modern stamps in 2000. I think they are destroying the hobby as we have known it.

Draft saved Draft deleted