American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DonDurbin, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

As are the gold First Spouse issues, I suppose? Still waiting for those to appreciate ahead of bullion fluctuations, though... :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

There was a major difference, about 80,000 coins less difference between the two in mintages.

LPaul47 likes this.
  4. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

+1.

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I have no idea how many people collect Silver American eagles, not stackers, but serious collectors of them, the proofs and the burnished and everything in between.

What I do know is they sell about 400K proofs each year roughly, and the pride of two nations set with a mintage of 110K total sets sells for right around mint cost on the secondary market with the canadian set selling a bit higher and I think it's mostly to americans wanting both offerings packaging, and no other reason. The U.S. set really didn't ever go up that much.

At 30K mintage, it's seriously low, they all will wind up in collectors hands at some point and we will see where we're at then, but if they are listed low on ebay with a BIN it's immediately bought and relisted for higher. and those that are just marginally cheaper are showing sold.

I don't think this cools off much, at some point dealers and flippers are going to run out of them and collectors will have them and then we see where it goes from there. there's also the international market to think about here, where someone might buy from ebay and have it sent to Canada or Europe. I think there has to be more than 30K serious collectors out there, maybe not 100K, but more than 30K that want all proof offerings. but we have to wait until the flippers move on to see where we are at with supply/demand and where it settles, but I think you can forget it ever selling at $65.95, this isn't the usual "hype flipping" going on here maybe 3x or 4x or 8x the mint price, maybe even higher once the "collectors" have them, and it takes money to shake one loose from somebody.

We all have our opinion, this is just another one of them. For all I know, maybe collectors turn off of them and don't include the enhanced reverse proofs in the "set". and just stick to regular proofs.
    As said by many before me, there's a 100 ways to be a collector and no really wrong way to do it. There's people just collecting bicentennial quarters and squashed pennies. I don't think a Proof collector, needs to have reverse proof or Enhanced reverse proofs, or triple double quadruple secret proofs or whatever else they come up with.
    But I will say that these enhanced reverse proof coins are really pretty. I dunno about $600-$800 each pretty, but they sure are pretty.

The dealers and flippers will move on to something else at some point. then we will see where supply and demand is.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Some specifics: the last three that sold on eBay went for $650 BIN (lasted 3 minutes), $700 BIN (lasted 5 minutes), and $800 BIN (lasted almost an hour). As of last night, most of the $800 closes were "best offers" that were actually lower, but at this point they're starting to go for asking price.

Edit: another $650 BIN, this one lasted almost 5 minutes. People must be eating. :)

Insider likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If they did that they would never have gone on sale. They would have been oversubscribed long before they ever went on sale. People would have shown up at noon on the 14th to find that they were already gone

And an 80,000 coin mintage difference. And since a later post pointed out that the POTN sets are now selling for close to issue price that should start to establish what true demand is. 30 K is too low, 110K is too high (it still sold out quickly but no aftermarket) Maybe they should try 60K

You can't satisfy everyone. Set mintages low people who get shut out aren't happy. Set them high enough that everyone who wants one can have one and people stay away in droves and complain that they sell for less in the aftermarket than what they paid for them. If you find that magic number where most but not all people who want one can get one, and they sell for a modest amount more in the aftermarket, and they will complain the issue price was too high.

Don't know if it is still true but it used to be that by law they could not charge more than face value plus expenses plus 20% (and it used to be interesting to see how they padded the expenses.)

That actually sounds like an interesting idea, announce a new coin, say it is going to have a "limited mintage" and set that mintage, but make no announcement about what that mintage will be until AFTER it is sold out.

Sounds like the modern Commemorative Unc silver dollars. There are 80 pieces in the set and 20 of them have lower mintage than the enhanced rev proof, 7 of them with mintages half or less than the ERP

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed, but you can't discount the true collector. The one who is pure of heart. The one who collects for not personal gain, and the one, when he see's an angle' capitalizes on it, and plows the proceeds back into his collection.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Frankly, whether a coin goes up or down in the aftermarket should not be a concern of the Mint. Those who wish to flip should pay their money and take their chances.

LPaul47 likes this.
  10. green18

Right on Allan. And I thank the Lord that I don't have to rely upon such practices (shenanigans?) to put food upon the table.....

11. green18

I worked with my hands.......

furham and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  12. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

+1.

13. paparet

paparet New Member

I wasn't able to get one either. Got as far as payment page but got error page when I clicked confirmation. Not able to get back in for about five minutes, then it was too late. Just unlucky I guess.

14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Keep on trying each morning.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  15. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

Looks like these are now selling in the $1,000+ range (for people that have coin in hand).

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Got a wife got a family
    Earn my livin' with my hand
    I'm a roller in a steel mill
    In downtown Birmingham

17. Joe98

Joe98 New Member

nobody should flip these for less than $1K

18. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Unbelievable! We must be talking about the S mint mark, not the W, right?

19. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yes, the 30,000 mintage S mint enhanced reverse proof ASE with numbered COAs with 100 hand signed by the mint director, and additional signed ones from the Baltimore show.
    That's a mouthful. :D

20. green18

One of my favorite singer/songwriters.....I go way back with this fellow. College days. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  21. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Short People!

green18 and Kentucky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.