American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DonDurbin, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I can't see a way for the mint to win here. No matter how they approach it. Maybe not releasing the total mintage numbers until sold out may make the flippers think twice before acting.
    They (the mint) knew exactly what was gonna happen, which is mass interest in their products.

Insider and gbandy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

From a logical standpoint:

Low mintage collector coins are what we all want.
    Low mintage coins are exciting, fun and valuable.
    The United States Mint rarely has low mintage coins and stick to there same designs (for the most part year after year) in comparison to other world mints.
    The United States Mint really offered the collectors and capitalists an easy way to make a nice addition to their collection while being able to make some money at the same time.
    Every time money is involved there will be people trying to make a profit, such is life (and why we go to work; no?).

Honestly seems like all the things us collectors want; no?

gbandy likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think many/most of us are simply venting and letting off steam....in a few weeks, nobody is going to care.

We'll all be able to buy one in a few months or years at a much more reasonable premium.

gbandy likes this.
  5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

How many people were complaining before they didn't get one in the initial offering? :rolleyes:
    +It worked exactly like the mint wanted: very effective budget marketing in a climate where traditional advertising hasn't been as effective as in the past.

gbandy likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Now that's funny

Santinidollar and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  7. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

I feel as though this coin will be just as valuable as the 1995-w or very similar in value.

Ungraded coins are selling for $700+ at the moment.

8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I am just happy I got one. It will be the key to my collection since I'll never be able to afford a 95 W.

Insider likes this.
  9. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I was one of the lucky 30,000, and mine's on the way.
    2019-S RP ASE shipped.jpg

GenX Enthusiast, Insider and NSP like this.
  10. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Feels like winning the lottery.

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You could be right, I freely admit I am NOT an expert on ASEs, new issues, etc.

But a few here appear to be and while the collectors will want (need) this ASE, there probably is more supply forthcoming and I know that while I would LIKE to have one, I don't NEED one (especially with the 2013-W practically the same type of coin).

The 2013-W probably sets the floor for where the 2019-S trades.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The lottery might be easier.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That seems like the thinking of a typeset collector, not a key-date collector. When they started minting W-mintmark proof ASEs in 2001, did that tank the market for the 1995-W? Of course not. It was still in short supply compared to the number of collectors trying to complete a set.

This one won't ever be in such short supply as the 1995-W, I think, but it'll never be as cheap as the 2013-W.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Here’s one that surprises me: There’s not a single ad for an enhanced proof in the buy, sale and trade section.

CU has a bunch of them.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There is one in the Trade section. Just doesn't have the magic word in the title. It's an... ambitious offer. :rolleyes:

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And a fine example of a collector maximizing the incredibly stupid hype to further expand his collecting endeavour.

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This one more example of how mint policy alienates collectors. They had an arcane system for selling these things to people who jumped through many hoops at the Baltimore show the end of this week. The “winners” who put up with the lines and the cold made $1,000 or more.

I think that reverse Proof coins are often ugly and have no interest in them. To those who make $1,000 on more on these things, congratulations! The buyers won’t be making any money from me. I don’t want one of these coins. Most people will feel the same a couple of years from now when speculators and a few collectors have turned the page and virtually forgotten about these “low mintage tulip bulbs.”

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Razz and gbandy like this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I glad that I don’t collect American Silver Eagles (ASE). I tried once and could not get interested in it.

Here is the way a “scarce modern coin” should happen. The mint offers the coin to collectors for a specified period of time. Any collector who wants one can order it. The number per order is limited. Toward the end purchasers can buy more pieces to clear the remaining stock. Once the ordering period is over, that’s it. No more will be sold.

If the coins do not attract a lot of interest and the mintage is small, they become “key dates.” No games, no limited mintages, no jumping through hoops as it was at the Baltimore coin show.

The Jackie Robinson Uncirculated $5 gold and the Buffalo Fractional gold pieces are two examples of “natural modern rarities.”

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

charlie123, postED: "Someone's off their meds."

:smuggrin: Only some :bucktooth: who takes "meds" would know that.

cpm9ball, posted: "Yeah, the Mint should have sold them for $1,000 each. Let's see how many flippers would be in a position to pay a 25%+ royalty to the shills."

Big Hint. With a 30K mintage and one per order, the coins would have still been a sellout. The only difference would be a higher retail price and fewer crybabies :bigtears:with silly wishes.

EyeAppealingCoins, posted: "That wouldn't be fair to collectors who obeyed the 1 per household limit and bought one to hold onto for the future. You can't screw over everyone because of a few bad apples. If the Mint did something like this, no one would ever buy [nonsense!] a modern mint product ever again."

:rolleyes::arghh: Please...Fact: Any person (the bad apples?) with a computer who knew the coins were for sale had a chance to buy one. :D Guess what, without passing judgement :yack::yack: :stop: on those lucky folks who got one, I'll bet they were free to keep it or sell it to the highest bidder.

What a great country! Even :bucktooth: have a say in the way things should be.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. LPaul47

LPaul47 Member

Free Market System.

Murika.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.