American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DonDurbin, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Yeah, so if you want one of each you have to shell out over $200!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to get one. I too had to go through the terrible computer system they have that can't keep up with the traffic. On a personal level, I hate it when someone has "shills" trying to obtain extra products for them. That is one reason why a lot of you weren't able to get one. Greed always hurts this hobby!

furham and Stevearino like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Well I'm pretty sure if they released these into circulation they wouldn't make it past the cashiers :p

On a more serious note people still complained about the W quarters as well. Had they said the mintage of these is 1 million so everyone could get one the narrative would just be another boring high mintage collector coin or about how the mint is gouging with the price tag. No matter what they do people are going to complain

It's a nice change of pace for them to offer things from time to time that aren't assured to immediately lose value

John Burgess likes this.
  5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I understand what you are saying. However, since mint is part of the government which is supposed to represent us shouldn't they try to better satisfy everyone? I guess one could make an argument either way that by limiting production they are satisfying the needs of speculators who are trying to make a quick buck. But they end up being a minority relative to the numbers who want the coin to fill a slot in their collection. Government shouldn't be trying to act like a for profit business.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I'll bet that guy with the electronics in his head and ear could have gotten through on the website !! :D

7. baseball21

The mint is for profit as they should be. Tax payers shouldn't be expected to foot the bill for the mint to make collector products that lose them money.

It's impossible to please everyone and trying to do so often ends up pleasing no one. Everyone that got one is extremely excited about it which is a lot more than you can say for most of their other products.

gbandy likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe Congress should set minimum production amounts as a prerequisite to approval for any special issue. 500,000 units? 1,000,000 units? How about 10,000,000 units!

Chris

Stevearino and wxcoin like this.
  9. wxcoin

I disagree about the "for profit" mint. Their purpose is to provide circulating coinage for the country. Providing mint and proof sets for collectors is fine as long as the prices they charge are to recoup their production and packaging costs. IMO, producing special products for the sole purpose of making a profit goes beyond the function of a democratic government entity. The US mint is looking more and more like the Franklin Mint.

Bob Evancho and Stevearino like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, they make a huge profit on the production of the penny and nickel.

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  11. wxcoin

I understand that. But that's a different story. The cent should have been discontinued years ago. The composition of the nickel could be changed to be more cost effective. I'm sure many of you could argue that the mint is recouping their losses from circulating coinage by catering to the collector community. However, limiting production to create a frenzy doesn't line the Mint's pockets as much as it does the few speculators.

cpm9ball and Stevearino like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Pretty sure he would've been on the receiving end, and keeling over with the servers.

I'm hoping I live to experience direct-to-brain information transfer -- but I don't like the notion of fifty thousand people suddenly yelling at me at several gigabytes per second.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

You're 35 years late. The 1984 'thought police' have been at it long ago.

14. baseball21

Why is a proof and mint set fine but not other products? Proof/Mint products are special products made for the purpose to generating a profit. Anything the mint actually sells would fall into that definition.

15. wxcoin

Good point. I wonder what the profit margins are for each product the mint sells to collectors. I still think the mint has gone overboard and too far. I'm sure anyone who routinely buys many of these products would disagree.

16. baseball21

Compared to the other major world mints the US mint actually has the most restrictive product line by far especially when you consider that several of the US products are the same thing in different packaging.

Granted some of the world mints have gone overboard with their premiums which I don't want to see the mint follow with. I suspect most of the mints don't want to really deal with collector orders anyways as dealers can get substantial discounts from many of them. That said collecting would be a lot duller without the modern part of it.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

How many dealers have their CC info stored on the mint web site? I too, have my info stored there and had to key enter everything at the checkout.......perhaps they were leveling the field a little bit with having everyone fill out the info?

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Do you know what I :troll: wish Chris...

I wish the mint would strike 30,000 Pattern Silver Eagles and send them free of charge to everyone who was lucky to get one of the original 30,000. That would give all the crybabies :mad::bigtears::bigtears: more to wad their pants up about. :jawdrop::D:p

cpm9ball, posted: "This is exactly the kind of half-fast response one would expect to hear from someone who has not read all of the threads concerning this predicament."

News flash, I was there and I lost out. I've been reading the good bad and ugly about the winners, losers, and the U.S. Mint for two days now and so much of it is pathetic nonsense like your post above. I guess you didn't get one either. I wish you had.

In my experience, folks have been complaining about the U.S. Mint for the last fifty years. Only thing newish is the computer and a website. It gets REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST. Unfortunately the crybabies have practically driven out the discussions about REAL COINS!

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Get real. This is the big time, the "show." You can join the real world where "fair" does not exist or take a chill pill because nothing is going to change and crying foul on behalf of life's losers (like me) in the Mint Lottery just makes me ROTFLMAO.

No more Mr. Nice Guy. Note to all reading this: If I could have bought out the entire mintage, I would have. Then I'd buy time on the TV cable show to personally scratch, drill, torch, and melt one "special" SE every minute that some viewer did not wire $800 to my account for a specimen!

20. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Not sure how much more popcorn I can eat in one weekend !!!
    150323-a15d5c13d04fd7b2cb39952f5cad43c4.gif

This reminds me of the checkout issues at launch time...
    ci8hx6t49npr.jpg

21. baseball21

If you had the entire mintage just melt 29,999 of them and then let everyone fight over the only example :p

GoldFinger1969, wxcoin and Insider like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.