American Banknote Company

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Lather, Feb 24, 2010.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Muzyck, you might be interested in another thread that focused on the Chinese scenes that ABN produced for various securities and bank notes in China.
    [​IMG]

Muzyck likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

4. WFN

WFN Member

Interesting thread with a lot of history intertwined. The first commissioned chief engraver of the United States Mint, Robert Scot, is credited by the ABC for sustaining the leadership role in early American banknote engraving that would eventually form the foundation of the ABC. Scot trained engraver John Draper, whose partnership merged in 1858 to form ABC.

gsalexan likes this.
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A bump here. This just arrived today...

Russo Asiatic bank front small.jpg
    Russo Asiatic bank back small.jpg

6. gsalexan

Gorgeous note! The locomotive is terrific.

Muzyck likes this.
  7. Old Texas Reb

Old Texas Reb Member

The American Banknote Co. (operating as the Southern Banknote Co.) printed the first $50 and $100 Richmond notes for the Confederacy in early 1861.

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

9. techwriter

Here's a favorite. I'm an old softie for vintage machines and equipment and when I come across one like this then I try to acquire it. Double bonus here: vintage machine and an ABNCo product.
    stk_WesternPower_machine_face.jpg
    =====
    stk_WesternPower_machine_ABNClogo_face.jpg
    ======
    What a generator :)
    stk_WesternPower_machine_vignette_face.jpg

gsalexan likes this.
  10. techwriter

11. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

"Mike Beck" is a friend (former BEP Pinter) and owns the old BEP Spider Press. He prints Souvenir Cards at the Major Coin/Currency shows. He has and uses some of the original dies (purchased) from the ABN collection. He created and printed my old (out-of-date) business cards displaying a RR Steam-Engine in the center of an ornate border... He also gave me some note-cards printed from ABN Trolley-Car engravings.
    If I can get my printer to work, I will share here later...

midas1 likes this.
  12. Drawde

Sorry fellas, I mis-named the retired BEP Plate Printer above. "Mike Beck" should read "Mike Bean"! I have relatives named Beck and exchange the names by accident.

13. gsalexan

But what you may not know is that the current BEP plate printer who operates the demo press at shows really is Mike Beck. Everyone thought that was an odd transition at the time, but now we're used to it. When he retires they will have to hire Mike Beal.

14. Drawde

15. techwriter

Drawde and SteveInTampa like this.
  16. Drawde

I love RR engravings... I only have one B&O stock cert and it does not have a train on it.

17. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

I had to slip this recent pickup in. For the 1935 $1 Short Snorter.jpg 1935 $1 Short Snorter Rev.jpg newbies, this is a Short Snorter:
    During WW II soldiers, most commonly bomber crews would sign a dollar bill. They're a part of history and fun to collect.

Well i just picked this one up and one thing about it has my coin club guessing and one thing makes it cool: Where did a soldier get and 1899 $2 bill (carry it in his pocket for luck?) and the signature also gives the date and where the mission was going.
    1899 $2 Short Snorter Obv..jpg
    1899 2$ Short Snorter Rev..jpg

18. gsalexan

Pretty sure you posted on the wrong thread. Short snorters generally have no connnection with American Bank Note Company.

19. TheMont

Sorry, saw others not posting on American Bank Note Company and thought the thread was opened up.

20. gsalexan

Sure, anyone can post here, but it should relate to the original topic in some way.

21. TheMont

This is the only thread that's about currency, and as I said, I see posts that don't relate to American Bank Note Company so I thought I could get in a rare note and see if anyone knew about it. To be honest, I don't know what the American Bank Note Company is so if the posts are all concerning that company, I apologize for interrupting.

Draft saved Draft deleted