American Bank Note Archive Series

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Feb 1, 2015.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Almost forgot -- I found a sales flyer folded up and tucked into one of my portfolios...
    ABN Archive flyer.jpg

midas1 and krispy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

ABNCo Vignette series is something I've always wanted but never aggressively searched for it. I see Ken Barr has the series except for 1992 - $2,100.00.

Complete sold for $425.00 in 2013:
    "Vol 1 1987, Vol 2 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992. Hard Bound ABNCo Archival Series Collectors Albums, Each set included twelve 8 1/2" x 11 1/4" limited-edition folio sheets protected in acid-free Mylar D sleeves with 4-10 vignettes per sheet, Folio sheets include various intaglio engraved vignettes with accompanying historical information regarding the vignette, Some of the vignette themes; "Allegories of Finance", "The Animal Kingdom", "Prominent Americans", etc., VF-XF condition series of beautiful ABNC printing ephemera"

http://www.icollector.com/American-Bank-Note-Archive-Series-Lot-of-7-1987-1992_i16209352

4. gsalexan

If that was a full set, someone got the deal of the decade! It even included the bonus Czechoslovakian note. Wish they showed it in higher resolution.

Czech note.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  5. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. gsalexan

Yes! Quite a reasonable price -- and I think the quick sale tells the tale. I'm hoping they didn't go to a chop shop.

8. gsalexan

Here is a better image of the front and back of the bonus note, included with the 1988 portfolio as a sales incentive for early orders. Currently on eBay for $99. That's a little overpriced, imho, but it depends on how badly you want a fully, totally, completely complete set.

Czech note front.jpg Czech note back.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Absolutely beautiful!!!

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Indeed. How are things in Oregon, dear friend?

11. gsalexan

The leaves are dropping and the first snow is headed our way this weekend! Hope it's warmer on your side of the country.

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Rare expensive multicolored note:

https://tinyurl.com/yd876nkq

I'd really like to have one.

Has anybody seen the vignette on other items?

13. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

14. gsalexan

It's on the "Allegories of Finance" panel from the 1987 portfolio if you go back to page 1. And I think I've seen it on a stock or bond, but I'll have to do some digging.

15. SteveInTampa

When I first saw this thread, I knew I had to have the set.
    I got this earlier this year.

[​IMG]

gsalexan and midas1 like this.
  16. gsalexan

Woo hoo! Way to go Steve! Those look to be in great shape, too.

17. gsalexan

So here's something I was unaware of: ABNCo apparently sold packets of mylar sleeves for the Archive Series panels. A couple of my sets have the panels in these sleeves already, but I just figured this was something that was part of the package. Nope, they're accessories. They certainly make the panels easier to handle.

There's currently a dealer who is selling these at a pretty good price (probably less than ABN's original price).

ABN Archive sleeves.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  18. SteveInTampa

Mine came with these...each page has one.

gsalexan likes this.
  19. gsalexan

I'm thinking it might be worth a few extra bucks to get these for mine, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted