America the Beautiful Quarters Program (2010 -2021)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToddB67, Oct 21, 2018.

1. ToddB67

ToddB67 Junior Member

Hi all ! :happy:

I found my first "America the Beautiful" Program Commemorative 2012 Quarter since issuance started in 2010 while metal detecting in a park soccer field last week. This coin is a Denali National Park and Preserve (Alaska) variety with the Dall ram, mountain scene and year on the reverse. It has a "P" mint mark on the obverse to the right of Washington's queue and is shown on page no.189 in my 2013 Red Book.

I'm just curious to know if the mint marks appear on the obverse in the same position on all the quarters issued so far in this series. I don't see this specified in my 2013 Red Book edition, either at the America the Beautiful section starting on page 187, or at the State Quarters section starting on page 179.

Do any of you know if this is clarified in the 2010 and forward Red Books and on what page ?

Thanks,
    ToddB67

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As far as I know they all (mint marks) appear in the same general location. What are you trying to ferret out Todd?

And pictures would help in any case......

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Considering that mint marks were no longer hand punched into each die, but engraved into the the hubs, they should all be in the same place on the coins.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This is the 9th year of the program, so by the end of the year the Secretary of the Treasury is supposed to decide whether or not to do a second round of ATB quarters. I haven't heard any rumors yet. Anyone else?

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'm not much interested in the ATB series.
    I learned my lesson from the State Quarters series.

7. ToddB67

ToddB67 Junior Member

Hi green18,

Pictures are attached.

As far as what I'm trying to "ferret out", nothing obscure or veiled at all, simply what I asked in the last paragraph of my post #1 and the word "this" in that paragraph refers to the first sentence in the second paragraph, where I say "I'm just curious to know if the mint marks appear on the obverse in the same position on all the quarters issued so far in this series.".

I've tried to find an answer to the above implied question by searching the Internet, but no matter how many query variations I Google in efforts to force out an answer, I guess the Internet algorithms are just “homing-in” on words in my query that have a synonymous relationship with available words in their data base and so Links are presented that deal with those subjects and the key word(s) in my query that are the real focal point of the question are by design ignored! :arghh:

I wish the Internet people could hire some hacker-brain-level techies to write programs that operate more agilely, closer to human brain level (a rhetorical question of course and I know... it’s all about the money.).

ToddB67

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As per what Rick mentioned above, yes.

9. ToddB67

ToddB67 Junior Member

rickmp…...Thanks and that sounds logical !

ToddB67

rickmp and green18 like this.
  10. ToddB67

ToddB67 Junior Member

kanga....:sorry: Sounds like you got the "short end of the stick", so to speak. If it's not too embarrassing perhaps we could all benefit by knowing a bit about your lesson. ;)

ToddB67

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The Redbook shows where the mintmark is located on all quarters 1968 to date (see the image/text just below the weight, composition info). This applies to the State Quarters and the America the Beautiful Quarters (i.e. "to date"). I don't know which page it is on because I only have a kindle version of the Redbook.

upload_2018-10-22_16-24-57.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Spark1951 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted