Ambr0zie's top 10 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Nov 23, 2020.

?

Top 10

1. 10. Marcus Aurelius - Mars Denarius

2. 9. Hadrian - Romae Aeternae Denarius

3. 8. Faustina Sr - Aeternitas Denarius

4. 7. Vespasian - Pax Denarius

5. 6. VRBS ROMA - Barbarous

6. 5. Campania - Svesano MFB

7. 4. Postumus Santa Claus

8. 3. Titus - IMP XIII Denarius

9. 2. Titus - Felicit Pvblic Sestertius

10. 1. Trajanus - She wolf Quadrans

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@ambr0zie......Nice 10 for your first year in ancients...I really like the Marcus Aurelius portrait and can see the photo doesn't do it justice. I like that little piggy too!.....Nice selection..

ambr0zie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Glad you got bored and started into Ancients. Nice start for 2020! I like you first started collectiong modern/ mostly FM proof sets/ world proof sets. Then as I bought books, went into older ones. I got my first ancient from NFA auction. After they sent me a auction catalogue, from there I was hooked....but not completely. I am one of the few members of this forum that also loves coins from 1500-1933 era.
    Like this one.... IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0101.JPG

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

When I started collecting, I wanted a complete collection - all the circulation coins from my country.
    This is quite difficult, but since our coin history started in 1867 it's doable at least in theory.
    Also banknotes, but having a complete collection was out of the question. As many as possible.
    There are still some missing - (the gold circulation coins, rare and expensive) and a small number of variations, also extremely expensive, but it's difficult to ask for more.
    I am also happy as I didn't expect to reach this stage.
    Like all the other collectors, I spend a lot of money on coins. The people who don't share this hobby think we're crazy :)
    But I try to have a ballance between the satisfaction on having a new coin/an upgraded coin and the financial effort.
    One of the missing coins in my collection costs about 1800-2.000 EUR in F-VF condition.
    Even if I find it tomorrow, I won't pay this price. It is highly unlikely to find it "by mistake". Having a missing coin (a key date but I have in my collection same KM number, 2 different dates) is not OK, but I wouldn't be happy to spend this sum.

Ancients came in the right time. I was looking for a Trajan coin, as Trajan is a key figure in our history. So just discovered how beautiful and historically important are these coins.

And of course, the price of the coins, along with the beginner's chance, made me very passionate about this new hobby.

DonnaML, panzerman and 7Calbrey like this.
  5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Good choice starting with collection ancients this year. Are you planning on expanding to other areas as well? Or sticking with Roman imperial?

I can see why your Trajan is your no.1 It would be my favorite too!

6. ambr0zie

Although I admire Greek coins, for the moment I don't intend to specialize on this area.
    I also have around 20 provincials, but I see I like RIC most.
    Also have 1 Republican :)
    I have also read about ancient coins from other cultures.
    I will try to stick to RIC, mainly 1st-2nd century, also some 3rd.

Limes and Roman Collector like this.
  7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Deserves definitely congratulations for a beginner. Proof of courage and strong will. The portrait of Hadrian is really attractive on this coin, but Vespasian was above all, one of the "12 Caesars". I dream of collecting all these 12. Big winner..

ambr0zie likes this.
  8. panzerman

9. ambr0zie

Thanks @7Calbrey , I am also quite glad with my current level and very happy I found this hobby.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I have other interesting coins, it was difficult to choose a top 10 and, as advised, perhaps other coins would have deserved a place in the top instead of the existing ones.
    I know the Vespasian coin is not a rarity and the condition is not perfect, but I liked it as I like his portrait style. I have 3 Vespasian denarii, from the same lot, 2 of them the same RIC number, but can't complain.
    upload_2020-11-24_18-34-17.png
    upload_2020-11-24_18-34-52.png

@panzerman yeah, a complete collection for a country like Germany is in Science Fiction area (you quoted my entire post and wrote your post inside it, it was difficult to spot it).
    Living in a country with a small numismatic history has its advantages(even if we can discuss about medieval coins and it's the same SF area to have a "complete" collection.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  10. panzerman

Well, I have one Country complete for gold/ Biafra it only existed for one year before the Nigerian forces starved them into submission. Probably the design was one of the most beautifull in 20th Century/ most "modern" coins are not worth collecting. This was the first more serious purchase.
    The 25 AV Pounds weighed 2.5 oz./ there where 4 others in set/ struck by Valcambi Mint/ Switzerland. image30406.jpg

11. ambr0zie

Nice one. Although I gave quite a large modern collection, the gold coins are a total of zero.

panzerman likes this.
  12. panzerman

Thanks. Even, though I like all over the map/ time periods. I have at least one or more AV/EL coins from all 27 Centuries of coinage/ best ones being 19/18/17/16th centuries. I have around 400 AV/EL coins from 670BC-1200AD.

13. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Great top 10 @ambr0zie !! I really like your trajan....the denomination and reverse is not that frequently encountered!

ambr0zie likes this.
  14. ambr0zie

Apparently just 3 known specimens, from the same par of dies.
    This is RIC 693 with the inscription IMP TRAIANO AVG ....
    and not IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN versions, those are more common.

Why should I lie, I had no idea about this when I bought it.

15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Nice coins. I like Marcus Aurelius and Titus.

ambr0zie likes this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Nice coins @ambr0zie . My favorites are #10, #2 and #1. I’m always a sucker for nice Marcus Aurelius and Trajan coins.

ambr0zie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted