Ambr0zie's top 10 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Nov 23, 2020.

?

Top 10

1. 10. Marcus Aurelius - Mars Denarius

2. 9. Hadrian - Romae Aeternae Denarius

3. 8. Faustina Sr - Aeternitas Denarius

4. 7. Vespasian - Pax Denarius

5. 6. VRBS ROMA - Barbarous

6. 5. Campania - Svesano MFB

7. 4. Postumus Santa Claus

8. 3. Titus - IMP XIII Denarius

9. 2. Titus - Felicit Pvblic Sestertius

10. 1. Trajanus - She wolf Quadrans

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
    2020 was the year I decided to start collecting ancient coins. After many years of modern numismatics, I started to get bored, almost all my goals were fulfilled and I didn't have the passion anymore.
    All changed when I discovered this numismatic chapter (I had 15 random ancient coins but common and mainly bad shapes), and I try to gain new knowledge almost every day, as the area is large and without proper studying, I don't think you can be a collector.
    I am sure these coins are not spectacular for most of you, but for me they are the beginning (and not only this) of a wonderful hobby.
    Most of the pics are from the auctions as photographing coins is a torture for me.

Marcus Aurelius
    AR Denarius, Marcus Aurelius (AD 161-180).

(175-176)
    Obv: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM
    Rev: TR P XXX IMP VIII COS III, Mars
    Ref: RIC 349
    upload_2020-11-23_22-53-57.png
    This was the first auction (a lot of 3 denarii + 1 Antoninianus) I've ever seen. The coin is nice, much better in hand (this auction house takes strange pics) and I thought it would be an expensive lot. It wasn't. I like the details and the conservation.

9. Hadrian
    Denarius. Rome Mint 134-138 AD. Obverse: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, bare head right. Reverse: ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated left on low seat, shield at her side, holding palladium and spear. RIC II: 265, RSC II 1312

upload_2020-11-23_22-57-30.png
    From the same lot. Coin with some luster and one of the first emperors I heard of (before starting to collect)

Faustina I (100-140)
    Obverse: DIVA FAVSTINA. Draped bust to right.
    Reverse: AVGVSTA. Aeternitas standing left, raising hand and holding torch.
    RIC III 361
    upload_2020-11-23_23-0-14.png
    This was a from the same auction, but a different lot (8 denarii, worse conservation but decent price and I'm OK with the quality). This was the first coin I have ever seen with an empress and after this, I decided this needs to be a major topic in my collection

Vespasianus (69-79) Denarius
    AD 75
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right.
    PON MAX TR P COS VI
    Type: Pax, naked to waist, seated left, holding branch extended in right hand, left hand in lap
    RIC 772 Rome
    upload_2020-11-23_23-6-3.png
    A coin I like because I heard of this emperor before my "collecting" era and I simply liked the obverse. I like Vespasian and I was glad most of his coins are not rare. What I found interesting at ths coin was the counter clockwise writing on the obverse (I have never seen this before)

6. Barbaric imitation of VRBS ROMA (posting pics with it and its "official" sister)
    upload_2020-11-23_23-10-53.png
    upload_2020-11-23_23-12-43.png
    This was from a lot of random 34 ancient coins I won, at a bargain price, proven to be full of surprises and it helped me learn how to identify coins.
    This was the first time I saw a barbarous imitation. I find these extremely interesting.

5. Campania, Svesano, Apollo with man faced bull.
    upload_2020-11-23_23-15-46.png
    This should have been in a lot of "Roman bronzes" but it wasn't. I could tell this is not Roman but all I could do is scratch my head. A gentleman who specializes in these series helped me. It was (an is) a nice addition and broadens my horizon when it comes to ancients.

4. Postumus (260-269 A.D.)
    Billon Antoninianus
    Colonia Agrippina (Cologne, Germany) mint, (ca. 260-61 A.D.)
    Obv: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped &cuirassed bust of Postumus right
    Rev: IOVI VICTORI, Jupiter walking right, hurling a thunderbolt
    RIC 311

upload_2020-11-23_23-21-0.png
    I have always wanted to see a Postumus coin as I read that his resemblance with Santa Claus is astonishing. I agree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

Will continue as that was the maximum allowed number of files.

3.Titus AD 79-81, RIC Vespasian 986

upload_2020-11-23_23-26-24.png
    When seeing this coin, I couldn't stop laughing ... but after I stopped laughing I realised I like it and I like coins with animals on the reverse. This was the coin that made me want to have a collection of ancient coins.

2. Titus, RIC 143, Sestertius
    upload_2020-11-23_23-28-12.png
    This was from a lot of 34 coins, the first Sestertius I have seen. The coin is worn, no arguments here, but better in hand, and made me understand why do you folks like these BIG bronzes.

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome
    Quadrans Æ
    RIC 693
    upload_2020-11-23_23-29-50.png

Having a Trajan was a must have for me.
    Chose this as I found the reverse interesting, turned out to be a rare coin (this made me happy but rarity is not a major argument for me. I simply liked the details, the coloring etc.

That would be my list, I realize there could be some changes but I will leave it like this.

All the best and keep collecting.

Attached Files:

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The pig reverse is my favorite :)
    They are all great coins though!

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Wonderful selection. Coingrats on a fantastic year!
    Your Trajan has excellent detail!... mine, not so much:
    share2451016019545317670.png

Curtisimo, Carl Wilmont, Bing and 5 others like this.
  6. ambr0zie

Thank you both.
    In the meantime I have acquired another Trajanus quadrans with the she wolf. but walking left (RIC 694)
    It was difficult to select 10 and if I think about it, there could be some changes in the list, but this is a good thing for somebody who just started this hobby.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selection! I also turned my attention more to ancient Greek and Roman coins this year. Used to collect state quarter errors, but now more onto Roman coins. Collecting ancient coins is fun, and there are so many areas to explore. :happy:

DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  8. ambr0zie

I prefer RIC. I only have 2 Greek coins (the second, a Phillip II drachm almost made it into the top).
    Just realized other imperial coins in my collection "should" have made it and I also ignored my provincials (my second choice, can't explain why, I simply like RIC more). Well tough luck for them :)
    This top is a fantastic idea, just browsing through selections chosen by experienced collectors.

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Well, I guess everyone here would have been thrilled at having such a selection at the end of year 1
    At leats I didn't.
    Very good selection all together

Q

ambr0zie likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Gee wiz your off to a good start with that great array of ancients, I am sure you won't get bored with ancients it's more likely you will get hooked like the rest of us. :happy:

DonnaML, ominus1 and ambr0zie like this.
  11. ambr0zie

I can say that ancient coin collecting is a totally different story than modern coins.
    It requires some studying, patience and of course you need to be attracted by the subject. And prepared for some challenges (I have just bought a coin that should have been relatively easy to attribute, but I have no idea what it is)
    I know a lot of passionate modern collectors who simply don't like ancients.
    Well, more for me, then.
    The good thing is that this area gives us a lot of freedom in choosing and finding the coins that suit our tastes (and pockets).
    I would also like to thank all the members in this forum who helped me with various questions and made me ... hooked even more.

DonnaML, zumbly, Everett Guy and 2 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome to Ancients collecting. Very nice Top 10, @ambr0zie . Congrats on a nice first year collection.

ominus1 and ambr0zie like this.
  13. ambr0zie

I have also added a poll with the mentioned coins.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..all fine coins! E Pluribus Deca :)

ambr0zie likes this.
  15. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Definitely a good selection of coins. Do you have certian coins you set out to get or is it what you happen to run accross you like you go after?

ambr0zie likes this.
  16. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Excellent coins! I like them all but particularly the "man faced bull" of Campania. A type that I would love to acquire some day. I also love that Titus sestertius, which has some nice honest, even wear and an excellent portrait that still shines through.
    Congrats!

ambr0zie likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

These are a nice variety for a start. I will look forward to what next year will bring. Of the group, I have to favor Santa Claus. He is such a handsome fellow.

DonnaML, ambr0zie and zumbly like this.
  18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great beards gotta stick together ;)

ambr0zie likes this.
  19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A great start to your ancient collection! My favorites are the Marcus Aurelius, the barbarous VRBS ROMA, and the Trajan quadrans. I like the artistic portrait of Aurelius on your coin, recently widowed and middle-aged, with an expression of calm, stoic resignation.

DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Definitely a solid start to your journey into the Dark Side. I picked the Titus sestertius. It has a nice portrait, and these hefty bronzes always feel great in hand.
    This is what I really love about ancients, and as we get more year end Top 10 lists roll in, this will be shown to be truer and truer.

DonnaML, dougsmit and ambr0zie like this.
  21. ambr0zie

I try to focus on 1st and 2nd century as I like them the most. Next preference is 3rd century, I don't like 4th century too much. This is why I didn't include a Constantinus I Genius with bust facing left.
    I find coins with empresses and reverses with animals more interesting.
    Also provincials are my second option, although I don't refuse them, but I prefer RIC.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted