(ambr0zie) Top 10 Roman Imperial Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Please select your favorite coins

1. 1. Trajan Denarius - Victory and DACICA shield

44.1%
  2. 2. Lucilla Denarius - Venus Victrix

20.6%
  3. 3. Divus Verus Denarius - Consecratio

20.6%
  4. 4. Domitian As - Fortuna

2.9%
  5. 5. Trajan Denarius - Column

32.4%
  6. 6. Gallienus Antoninianus - clasping hands

2.9%
  7. 7. Divus Vespasian Denarius - Capricorns

23.5%
  8. 8. Julia Titi Dupondius - Ceres

17.6%
  9. 9. Titus Denarius - Venus

64.7%
  10. 10. Diva Faustina I Denarius - Consecratio

29.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Although Christmas is coming in a month, I see other members have started providing their Top 10 coins. I have seen some beautiful examples already and I am sure I will see more.
    This year was great from a numismatic point of view. It has been also the first year where I concentrated 99.9999% on ancients only, learning more and more, ... buying more and more and the only 2 purchases not related to ancient coins were 2 modern banknotes I wanted for years, both cheap.
    It was very difficult to select only 10 coins - this is why I will create 2 lists, 1 for Roman Imperial coins and a list for Republican+Provincial+Greek. I bought a lot (mostly affordable coins) and it was difficult to select 10 coins only for Roman Imperial section. I had to relegate some coins that would have deserved a place, but I selected the coins I was extremely happy for getting and the ones I personally like the most.

The order is the one I bought the coins in. Hope you will like them!

1. Trajan Denarius - Victory and DACICA shield
    upload_2021-11-23_16-53-37.png

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome Denarius AR 20 mm., 2,96 g.
    RIC II Trajan 130
    Date Range: AD 103 - AD 111
    IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, bust of Trajan, laureate, right, draped on left shoulder/ COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Victory, naked to hips, standing right, left foot set on a step, inscribing DACICA on shield attached to palm-tree

This coin is important for me as it is related to Dacia. I wanted to buy some coins connected to Dacia and I have a few (missing some DAC CAPs but every attempt to get one failed, prices going too high). Particularly like Trajan's portrait and the overall look of the coin.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Lucilla Denarius - Venus Victrix
    upload_2021-11-23_17-1-4.png
    Lucilla AD 164-182. Rome Denarius AR 18 mm., 2,89 g.
    RIC III Marcus Aurelius 786
    Date Range: AD 164 - AD 180
    LVCILLA AVGVSTA, bust of Lucilla, bare-headed, hair waved and fastened in a bun on back of head, draped, right / VENVS VICTRIX, Venus, draped with right breast bare, standing left, holding Victory in extended right hand and resting left hand on shield set on ground

I try to get as many empresses as possible and this year a lot of new ones arrived in my albums. This was an impulse purchase but, even if the reverse is not perfect (although not bad!) the obverse was, for me, breathtaking, as the engraver did his job very good. I consider this one of the most beautiful coins in my collection.
    3. Divus Verus Denarius - Consecratio
    upload_2021-11-23_17-12-25.png
    Divus Lucius Verus AD 169. Rome, Denarius AR, 18 mm., 2,70 g.
    RIC III Marcus Aurelius 596B; RSC 55, BMC 503
    Date: AD 169
    DIVVS VERVS, head of Lucius Verus, bare, right / CONSECRATIO, funeral pyre in four tiers, adorned with statues and garlands, quadriga on top

The good portrait made me want this coin and of course, the reverse type. Verus was not, perhaps, an emperor to be remembered, but I like his portraits and his coinage.
    4. Domitian As - Fortuna
    upload_2021-11-23_17-18-9.png
    Domitian AD 81-96. Rome. As Æ. 27 mm, 10,73 g
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 707. Old RIC 394
    AD 90 - AD 91
    IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XV CENS PER P P, bust of Domitian, laureate, right / FORTVNAE AVGVSTI S C, Fortuna standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae

When I first saw this coin in the auction I thought it will have a high price. Not obscenely high, but too high to buy it as a snack next to main targets.
    Actually it was cheaper than expected and I was extremely glad for getting it. In hand the coin is spectacular and the patina chips don't disqualify it, for me.
    5. Trajan Denarius - Column
    upload_2021-11-23_17-23-33.png
    Trajan AD 98-117. Rome. Denarius AR. 19 mm, 2,60 g
    RIC 292, RSC 558
    Date Range: AD 112 - AD 114
    IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, bust of Trajan, laureate, draped, right / S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, Column of Trajan surmounted with a statue of Trajan; two eagles at base and a wreath with spirals and dots on column

For some collectors, probably a junk coin. For me, one of the coins I wanted to buy since I started collecting ancient coins. I know the Column denarii varieties are not rare and in an average condition should not cost an arm and a leg, but for some reason I haven't spotted one in the auctions I participate in. In July it happened. A (slightly) better than this one Column and a decent DAC CAP denarius. I wanted both and after checking the market I found out the prices should be affordable for these 2 examples.
    *should* but didn't - as both the Column and the DAC CAP went over the roof even if my bids were way more than I expected, even in the pessimistic approach. Lost the DAC CAP. It was not as important as the Column for me so went for the Column. Failed again.
    And to my big surprise, after a few lots I noticed this coin. Even if I browsed all the lots days before the auction, I didn't see this one. The surprise continued as I won it with a very low price.
    6. Gallienus Denarius - clasping hands
    upload_2021-11-23_17-32-0.png
    Gallienus AD 253-268. Rome. Antoninianus AR. 22 mm, 1,99 g
    RIC V Gallienus (joint reign) 131; Cohen 125
    Date: AD 253
    IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, bust of Gallienus, radiate, draped, right / CONCORDIA AVGG, two right hands clasped together

You gotta love Gallienus if you're a collector. Tons of tons of coins with interesting reverses, there are lots of collectors who specialize on Zoo series and not only those.
    But what needs to be said, at least from what I noticed, is that finding a Gallienus in good condition and well struck is not a (very) easy task.
    Since this was acquired in the same auction as the previous coin, I was expecting a bidding war and I was not planning to take part in it. Not the case. I won a nice coin with an interesting reverse for a low price.
    7. Vespasian Denarius - Capricorns
    upload_2021-11-23_17-40-5.png
    Divus Vespasian after AD 79. Rome. Denarius AR. 19 mm, 2,71 g
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 357;OLD RIC II Titus 63; RSC Titus 497
    Date Range: AD 80 - AD 81
    DIVVS AVGVSTVS VESPASIANVS, Head of Divus Vespasian, laureate, right / Capricorns, left and right, back to back, supporting round shield inscribed S C; globe, below

Not rare, not in a good condition. But do I like it? Yep. Did I want it? oh yes.
    For this one I love Vespasian's portrait, very expressive. And the "non standard" reverse even if I would have preferred (who wouldn't) a reverse with the shield and globe in better conservation.
    I managed to lose 2 similar coins this year, before this one. First one was a beautiful example, with SC and globe fully visible, excellent portrait and the hammer price was low. But I was chasing other coins and I made a mistake by letting it go. Who knows, perhaps the winner would have paid more and more and more, but nobody knows. Bottom line, I let a beautiful coin slip. 1 month later, another auction, another house, another Vespasian with capricorns. Slightly worse. And it went for double amount.
    Another month has passed, this appeared. Third time lucky as it is a type I wanted.
    8. Julia Titi - Ceres Dupondius
    upload_2021-11-23_17-50-12.png
    Julia Titi AD 80-81. Rome. Dupondius Æ. 28 mm, 11,55 g
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 392
    IVLIA IMP T AVG F AVGVSTA, bust of Julia Titi, draped, right; hair bundled high in front and wrapped in bun (sometimes small bun) in back /CERES AVGVST S C, Ceres standing left, holding corn-ears and torch

This was the first time I broke my promise this years as I intended to stop buying since September. I was hoping it would go at a lower price than I got it. But judging after the market trend, it could have gone worse. Adding a coin from a rare Augusta is something I could not refuse. And the portrait is quite OK.
    9. Titus Denarius - Venus
    upload_2021-11-23_17-54-33.png
    Titus AD 79-81. Rome. Denarius AR. 17 mm, 2,53 g
    AD 79
    RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 34; Old RIC II Titus 9; RSC 268
    IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, head of Titus, laureate, right / TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P, Venus standing right, resting on column, holding helmet and spear

Few coins haunted me like this one when I first saw it. The portrait, the engraver's skills when carving the image of Venus and the overall look made my want this coin badly. The problems from the fields, the bad shape of the legends (this remains a mystery, as I saw coins with a lot more wear but with legends in better condition) just made me hope it will not attract too many bidders. And it didn't. Probably this was the coin I was the most happy about when hearing "going once, going twice, sold" (probably the neighbors also heard).
    10. Diva Faustina I Denarius - Consecratio
    upload_2021-11-23_18-3-32.png

Diva Faustina I AD 140-141. Rome. Denarius AR. 17 mm, 2,56 g
    RIC III Antoninus Pius 384a (denarius); RSC 175; BMC 473
    AD 141
    DIVA FAVSTINA, bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved in several loops round head and drawn up and coiled on top. / CONSECRATIO, peacock, walking right, head turned back left

Another very recent acquisition. It is not rare or in perfect conservation but it was a pleasant surprise as the coin looks better in hand than in the auction's house photos (I was expecting a worse reverse). This was bought in the same auction with the Titus and since there was still budget remaining, I could afford this one. Ticks a lot of boxes - empress, animal reverse and I can't say I dislike the normal circulation wear that left the details still there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ozie, My favorite is #9, with Venus showing off her buns :smuggrin:, followed by #10, the Diva Faustina denarius, & 3rd place going to #1, the Trajan Dacian victory denarius :happy:.

DonnaML, Roman Collector and ambr0zie like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Man, that was hard to narrow down to three! I like them all!! Interesting and historically important coins, @ambr0zie! You had a good year indeed!

I really like the toning on the Lucilla, the Vespasian, the Titus and the Faustina I. The Lucius Verus, the Vespasian and the Titus each have iconic reverse designs. The Two Trajans have historically important reverse types. Julia Titi is hard to acquire in ANY grade.

I hope that 2022 is good to you and your collection!

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, all with a special appeal, but that Titus Venus is fantastic, congrats on a great year of collecting.

ambr0zie likes this.
  6. ambr0zie

Thank you!
    I am very curious to see other collectors' opinions.
    For me it would be very difficult to choose 3 as it was quite hard to pick 10 and promoted/demoted lots of coins. If you twist my arm, I will choose Titus - Lucilla - Divus Verus.

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I voted for the last three. That venus looks like she might be Kim Kardashian's ancestor, doesn't she ?

A nice selection over all

Q

ambr0zie likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Yeah, it's hard not to place that absolute dump truck Venus has...as well as the rest of the coin at #1!:singing:
    Julia Titi a close #2 and then I really like that look on Vespasian's face coupled with the cool capricorns.
    A really great year you have had my friend:cigar: I cannot wait to see what next year yeilds!
    2117874_1629211160.l-removebg-preview.png 1873310_1619626410.l-removebg-preview.png

9. ambr0zie

Next year I intend to decrease the purchasing spree, at least partially. I bought a lot of coins in 2021 - but it's hard to find one that was overpaid or bought without a reason. Very good news is that I managed to get a lot of coins in my wish list, in decent conservation and decent prices.
    Soon I will compile a non RIC top 10 and it would be also difficult.
    Votes, opinion, recommendations, bad words are still welcome - I was suspecting Titus will not be at the bottom (*cough cough*) but I am a little surprised nobody likes Gallienus and Domitian the Green.

Ryro likes this.
  10. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selections, @ambr0zie. :)

I like your Lucilla, Julia Titi, and Titus. Your Trajan denarius is very nice with Dacia on the shield. My Trajan only has a blank shield...
    =023ac1.jpg

11. ambr0zie

On your coin, @happy_collector (nice one btw) Trajan's facial expression is "Yep, they stole the inscription on the shield ... AGAIN"

Some honorable mentions that failed top 10 (coins I find interesting)
    upload_2021-11-23_22-48-51.png

upload_2021-11-23_22-50-1.png
    upload_2021-11-23_22-51-5.png
    upload_2021-11-23_22-51-38.png
    upload_2021-11-23_22-51-52.png
    upload_2021-11-23_22-52-47.png
    upload_2021-11-23_22-53-39.png

I am currently preparing a top 10 non Roman imperial. Difficult selection.

12. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Great coins. My favorites: #5 Trajan denarius with column and #9 Titus with Venus.

ambr0zie likes this.
  13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@ambr0zie......A really nice selecion! ....I went for 9, 1, and 8....All have their credits though, so it was very difficult to choose three...
    Congrats on a good year.

ambr0zie likes this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wonderful! I voted for the Lucilla, the Diva Faustina, and, like everyone else it seems, the Titus.

ambr0zie likes this.
  15. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

All of them are really awesome - hard to vote for 3 :D.

I voted for Trajan, Vespasian and Titus. Lots of Kudos for your 2021 acquisitions:)

ambr0zie likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very hard to choose!! Ended up picking the Titus Venus denarius, the Julia Titi dupondius, and Trajan column denarius, although it was a tossup with the Gallienus denarius because the latter's portrait is so different.

ambr0zie likes this.
  17. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I chose the two Trajan denarii, I also like Titus, is a very cool coin :). Congratulations !

ambr0zie likes this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It was hard to pick three! The Diva Faustina is a neat type and has the sort of toning I really love on ancient silver. Same for the Lucilla and Vespasian double capricorn. In the end, I went with the Trajan DAC CAP (cool historical type, and an excellent coin all round), the iconic Column denarius, and of course the callipygian Venus.

ambr0zie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted