Amazon v. Ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Nov 1, 2019.

1. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

I have been selling on Ebay since January. Customers seem to buy the cheap items while I have hundreds of views and watchers of the more expensive items. I used to sell on Amazon until I got an email that I considered insulting. They said that British sovereigns were really bullion and shouldn't be classified as coins. One of our Coin Talk members told me that they are NCLT, which is what the Amazon seller reps don't understand I intend to go back to Amazon with coins authenticated, graded and slabbed by PCGS. I had a great deal of success selling expensive coins there. I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you had great success in the past, and you aren't having success on ebay, why are you asking us? If it works, it works.

MaryK, markr and Chuck_A like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nonsense and balderdash. Sovereigns are totally coins. Granted, they are "trade coinage", and usually sell as bullion, but they were legal tender coins nonetheless. Just because something is NCLT doesn't mean it's not a coin. After all, the last two letters in that acronym stand for Legal Tender.

Amazon will never hold a candle to eBay in the Coin categories until they attract a lot more some sellers with decent merchandise, build up a good (i.e. huge) selection of such, and put up barriers to some of the garbage listings.

This does not exactly inspire confidence.

coin_nut and Chuck_A like this.
  5. CHARLES GINETTO

Did I screw up?

6. CHARLES GINETTO

I'm asking because of the insulting remark they made about my sovereign collection.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

They are invisible people to you and I so just toss the insult over your shoulder and get down to making money. You will only screw up if you take them too seriously. JMHO.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No, I was responding to the nonsensical "sovereigns are not coins" message you said you got.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. CHARLES GINETTO

Thank you,

10. CHARLES GINETTO

I just withdrew my application as an Amazon seller because they totally messed up my application. I'll place my slabbed coins on Ebay for sale.

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

It has been more than a decade since I brokered anything on eBay, but I also sold a few items on Amazon. I priced the items higher at Amazon because their fees were higher. I have no idea whether this is true today or not.

I did buy something from a dealer that is popular with Chief Moderator, Doug, which was being offered for sale for less money on his Amazon listing than at ebay: an Intercept slab holder box. As I recollect, the price was about $2.50 less.

All of this leads to the question, why not sell on both?

Stevearino likes this.
  12. CHARLES GINETTO

I did that once and sold to the customer on Amazon because the price was higher. Then I got bad feedback from the Ebay buyer because I "double sold."

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I just glanced at Amazon once for interest in being a seller. The fees were ridiculous compared to other sites.

Derek2200 likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, if an item sells on Amazon you should take it down right away on eBay. (I'm assuming you didn't sell it for a higher price on Amazon after it sold on eBay; that would deserve negative feedback.)

15. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I go with wikipedia here: Non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) refers to coins that are theoretically legal tender and could circulate but do not because their issue price, and/or their melt value at the time of issue is significantly above the arbitrary legal tender value placed thereon. They are sold to collectors and investors with no intention that they be used as money. Notable examples would include commemoratives, proofs, bullion coins, presentation sets, patterns and the like.[1] Quoting Walter Breen. I stress "at time of issue". The "Freedictionary" definition does't make much sense; basically, they say any legal tender coin that doesn't circulate because it is worth more than face value is NCLT! By that definition, a 1909s-VDB 1c would be a NCLT coin.

Chuck_A and CHARLES GINETTO like this.
  16. CHARLES GINETTO

No I just had forgotten that I had put it on Ebay.

17. CHARLES GINETTO

Not to mention they want to know everything about you, your pedigree and your willingness to sign a yellow dog contract which gives you no right to sue whatsoever. Amazon should be busted up as a combination in restraint of trade.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. I think that's still fair game for negative feedback. If a buyer bids or does a Buy It Now in good faith, and you say "oops I don't have it any more", that's definitely your bad.

markr, Stevearino and harrync like this.
  19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I never listed the same item on both selling venues. I ran into fewer thieves on Amazon, though. One ebay example was a person who bought a highly-prized music CD from me for more than $400. It was still in brand new shrink wrap. He returned a badly damaged worn copy saying that I cheated him. Ebay sided with the customer, returned his payment and he got to keep the new CD.

20. CHARLES GINETTO

As Captain Benteen said to General Perry the day after the Little Big Horn:"Mistakes were made." Luckily nobody got scalped with my mistake.

harrync likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted