Amazon Roman Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientRomeCoin, Apr 4, 2011.

1. AncientRomeCoin

AncientRomeCoin New Member

Hey everyone I am looking to buy my 2nd Ancient Roman coin I bought my first in a Coin shop in St.Augustine but I have 5 dollars left on a amazon giftcard and I thought hey I will see if there are roman coins on amazon but I don't know if they are Authentic the seller is Ancient Coin House

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gao

Gao Member

Everything that's showing up on Amazon when I search for that name looks authentic, however you should keep in mind that with uncleaned coins, you're probably going to get something low grade, possibly bad enough that it's an unidentifiable slug.

4. AncientRomeCoin

Did you check out ancient Coin House and also why would they be only 5 to 10 bucks? Thanks

5. Gao

Gao Member

Yeah, as I said, I looked at what they had on Amazon. They're that cheap because the coins are that common (keep in mind how many millions of coins it takes for a functioning economy and how metal corrodes only so quickly), and they're largely not in great condition. You should keep in mind that the coin he's showing you isn't necessarily the one you're going to get, since he's listing multiple coins in each of those listings.

6. AncientRomeCoin

yeah hey thanks for looking I think Im going to get just because I have nothing else to buy should I do that.

7. Gao

Gao Member

Well if you don't have anything else to spend that gift card on in the near future, and you want the sort of thing he's offering, then sure, why not?

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A warning in general but not necessarily regarding this particular dealer:

I never suggest buying a coin when the illustration is not of the exact specimen that is being sold. The tendancy is for them to show a representative stock photo of an ancient Roman coin but one in much better condition than the one that will be sent if you buy. The vast majority of ancient coins sold on eBay are illustrated with photos of the exact specimen being offered so you can at least see what you will get. I saw nothing on Ancient Coin House to suggest they might sell fakes but let me quote one feedback they received:
    "I received 25 uncleaned coins. While this is what I ordered, the condition of the coins, for the most part, was less than satisfactory."

If I had a $5 credit to Amazon, I would put some with it and buy a book (not neccessarily about coins). In that price range postage will be a problem but anyone interested in Roman Imperial coins might enjoy a good set of biographies of the emperors. There are a huge number of Michael Grant's book available used due to it having been used as a text so many places. That is why they are $2.63 and 3.99 shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ie=UTF8&qid=1301934454&sr=8-10&condition=used

9. AncientRomeCoin

well thanks for the advice but im going to most likely get it becuase if it's fake I can bring it to school and trick kids

10. Gao

Gao Member

How do you plan on "tricking" them, exactly?

And as we said, it's far more likely that they'll just be authentic but mediocre coins than it is that they'll be fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted