Amazon joining the scam

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1953, Feb 19, 2019.

1. 1953

1953 Active Member

Look at the pics and the ratings by people who have some knowledge of coins. The pic they show is a coin in excellent shape not some worn down stump that has been cleaned a zillion times.
    See this a lot on Amazon. Big dealers with a lot of inventory dumping unsaleable stuff on the unknowledgeable general public at a huge profit margin.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RS1FS...dus-20&ascsubtag=pgi-P05-V01-05-X92-LO-T1R3AT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No thanks to any coin sold on Amazon.

juris klavins, tmeyer and Dougmeister like this.
  4. 1953

1953 Active Member

Totally agree. I was looking for some printer cartridges when the add popped up. Thought I would post it.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice of you to do so.

1953 likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Remember, only take into account the coins that actually sold.
    Same with eBay.
    That will weed out most of the overpriced material.

Kelly-Bob and Dougmeister like this.
  7. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

No thanks to anything on Amazon

YoloBagels likes this.
  8. 1953

1953 Active Member

And they will weed out and not post in any of the extremely bad reviews.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The selling fees for coins on Amazon are pretty high, if anyones making a huge profit it's Amazon

10. Kelly-Bob

Kelly-Bob New Member

There is a way to see what has sold on eBay including price paid. I forgot how to do that would somebody please enlighten me.

11. baseball21

On the left side under "Show Only", click "Sold Listings"

juris klavins likes this.
  12. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

@Kelly-Bob Or you can open eBay, click on the 'advanced' search (just below the cart symbol upper right corner), then type in your desired item in a few words (where it says 'Enter keywords') and click on 'sold listings', 'auction' and 'buy it now' (leave the rest blank) + the blue search button - you will get a listing of most recent sales prices for that item & the seller's link if you want to check for additional and/or similar items:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch

13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I've never bought a coin from amazon (too pricey) and have only made one purchase of silver bullion - in 2017, I bought a lot of 12 Johnson Matthey 1 oz. .999 silver bars for 20.48 each (silver spot was at 17.08) - average eBay price today is $20-23 each, so in retrospect it was a fair deal - Since that time, I have yet to see a reasonable asking price for any coins or bullion on amazon - their fees are just too high for sellers to make a profit at normal prices :oops:

14. William J Wylie

William J Wylie New Member

1953 likes this.
  15. baseball21

1953 likes this.
  16. 1953

1953 Active Member

17. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

Both of the last two amazon ads had the same "Dear, this old Coin is made of Brass; the old Coin is plated with 925 sterling silver." same wording 'different' vendor. What's with the Dear....?..... truly weird.

1953 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted