Amazon $16 penny roll

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Nov 7, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Ive thrown myself on a grenade! I broke down and bought a roll from Amazon. Claims to be 1909+. I see you can get these "unsearched" (LOL) rolls for as low as about $9. I dont mind paying a little more. I will post my findings if any errors or varieties pop up! Hopefully there is at least one questionable coin that will make for some fun review and opinion for us to check out. Lets see how it pans out!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

1x1909 (maybe), a couple of 30's, the rest 40s and 50s.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. MatrixMP-9

I am expecting....garbage! But you never know! Its all in fun. Kind of like a $20 lotto ticket but will give me something to do for a few hours over the course of a couple days.

Mountain Man likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

At least you have a small chance of winning something on the lotto.

Chances of winning the Internet unsearched roll jackpot? About the same as @GDJMSP giving your post a like :hungover:

7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I never was a fan of buying rolls. I have only bought one "unsearched" roll off an Ebay auction years ago. I think my winning bid was 20 or 30 bucks as it was filled with Indians and wheats. Probably a dumb thing to spend money on but I did get lucky as this was in the roll:

2016-08-08-22-07-23.jpg

The seller must have missed the S when they were filling the roll lol.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice! You are probably correct!

9. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

The only rolls I actually bought over face was some 2005 bison nickel rolls,and I found a new variety that I haven't seen more of yet! To late to find a pic, I'll post tomorrow after hunting.

10. MatrixMP-9

Im bored with my normal "supplier" lol. I waste $16 on other ridiculous stuff so I figured why not. I have bought rolls before off ebay a long time ago. I dont expect anything great....but then thats the fun part of the hunt. My assumption is that whoever looked through it may have been looking for condition and dates rather than inspecting close for errors and varieties. Who knows. I did get a DDO (legit) from a roll. Unfortunately, it looked "cleaned" but was still a fun find because it was one of those obvious coins that you can see without magnification.

1941a.jpg 1941h.jpg

I am like a child and still get giddy when I see the pictures. I think my words were "Holy CXXX SXXX FXXX No way....this better not be machine doubling"! Thankfully it was a great example and all the markers lined up. I learned more from having this coin in my paws than all the other PMD I found prior combined.

So I believe even searched rolls might have something that gets by someone. Good thing is that with a site like CT, you can post up and find out really quick if it needs "eliminated" and then move on.

Amazon hates my address! Ive checked my front door 15 times today and still no box!!! They like to wait until 8:59!!!

tibor and furryfrog02 like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

12. MatrixMP-9

I like that Kentucky!!! Send me your luck!

Kentucky likes this.
  13. MatrixMP-9

I got it. Nothing even remotely worth bugging you guys about. Almost all 1958 with a few 57 and about 6 1944 through 1948. Got one with some nice "chips" in the 9 and 5 (I like those and dont know why) and one with a decent crack through the wheat along with some pretty good MD but no "Ohhh Woooww!" coins.

What I am a bit surprised with is the quality of some of the 58s and 57s. Some of them look uncirculated. Color is really nice too. They dont appear cleaned either.

I think my $9 ebay roll had better variety of years...got all years and teens. The condition on the coins from the ebay seller were alot worse...a ton of wear and PMD but I dont mind that.

I think if someone got excited about decent grade late 50's, they would be happy with the amazon roll.

14. MatrixMP-9

I guess Im strange. Id rather get beat up coins with some soul. Good news is that Im gaining a more "honest" eye. Of all those 50 pennies...Ive only got one with some "chips" that makes sense in this forum. Not too long ago I would have posted 25 of these with wild and hopeful expectation. Im serious, I really do like these 50s with the chips in the date. I will put this one in a 2x2 and put it aside because the condition is pretty nice as well. Flash and no flash below. No need for
    magnification.

IMG_7443.jpg IMG_7448.jpg IMG_7450.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted