Amazing Find, 1794 Liberty Cap S-34 R5+

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AdamsCollection, Jul 16, 2019.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am worried it wont be attributed correctly. What do I do if it comes back incorrect??

I also am aware it will likely peg details, but even then the coin holds solid value. A hell of a lot more then I paid that is for sure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

There are many copper experts and most are in EAC or Early American Coppers. I hold them in much higher regard for attribution than TPGs. Two of these have already commented with Eduard and Conder101 among those I trust.

I am posting your coin and alternatives with details of interest highlighted. When you get the coin back, I'd love to see the photo. I just had a case where a photo threw off my attribution and better photos are always better, though not as good as seeing the coin in the copper.

Your Coin
    Obverse-tile.jpg

Alternative Reverses (highlighted)

1794 44              C S-22-tile.jpg

Reverse C is not a known pairing, but looks closer to me than the known pairings. If it proves to be Reverse C, it was probably a quick usage between the striking of S-33 and S-34.

But look for yourself and I'm interested in what others see after focusing on the reverse.

micbraun and AdamsCollection like this.
  4. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Any idea when the coin will be back from NGC? I am excited for you and your find!

AdamsCollection likes this.
  5. AdamsCollection

What would it mean to be a reverse C? Would that be significant?

Also again great response, very helpful. I do agree it looks closer, at least the knot.
    To add to this I think I can make out a berry being under the Bow, as seen in C and K. The height seems right.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    buckeye73 likes this.
  6. AdamsCollection

It got received the 17th. I have a 12 day turnaround, plus the photograph and variety attribution. I think I chose the wrong photograph though, I wanted trueview type, but I think it is just going to be of the cased coin. :/ Either way mid august?

Sasquatch likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If it is a pairing of Obverse 13 and Reverse C, it would be a new variety. However; it is also possible that PMD corrosion/damage is mimicking the break of 13 and this is actually Obverse 5 and an S-22.

An indication of this might be found on the upper hair where your coin has a strong separation between the hair and field as it passes by the CAP. The two comps of Obverse 13 I'm looking at show weakness there where Obverse 5 shows strength like your coin.

This is still a mystery. But I think is will be resolved.

8. AdamsCollection

Well thank you for all your input! :) Hopefully it is not an S-22!! I am both very anxious and excited, and anxious and worried haha

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I appreciate the fun this morning. We'll just have to see the photos where we can see diagnostics.

10. AdamsCollection

I will get photos as soon as possible :) and will update this post when I get them!

Marshall and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Nice thread!! :)

12. AdamsCollection

F3EEDFC1-4E89-451A-A117-77928CEA52C9.jpeg To add to the discussion about the reverse, here is NGC’s picture for the S-34 they graded. This being a well known example. It appears to be my reverse, it looks like reverse C/L due to the position of the bow and the knot used.

Also has good definition between the hat and hair.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  13. AdamsCollection

@Marshall NGC has deemed the coin too worn to grade, or attribute. It is being sent back, no photography occurred, and no encapsulation.

It is rather unfortunate. I am going to be contacting Jon Alan Boka and getting his opinion too.

I guess once I get the coin back ill try to take the best photos I can. Just wanted to update that the NGC involvement is over, and left me stranded haha

14. AdamsCollection

Jon's opinion was that it was undeniably an S-34. :)

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is your coin. Obverse.jpg

This is a comp for Obverse 5.(S-22) 1794 7                5 S-22.jpg

This is Obverse 13 (S-34) Obverse 13.jpg

With Reverse C identified and the highlighted portion of the hair consistently different on all comparables of each Obverse, I have to lean very heavily on S-22 with PMD mimicking the Obverse 13 die crack.

I hope I'm wrong.

16. AdamsCollection

0F6F1ED6-387F-428C-A6A9-2EF9E1843C98.png Yeah I was in contact with Jon Alan Boka and he reviewed my coin, he agreed it was S-34 but heavily worn.

Here’s the first email correspondence he is renowned and professional. I take his opinion seriously

NSP likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I respect his opinion as well.

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

This coin is now up for sale on ebay.

19. AdamsCollection

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Wish I had the money available.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

While the Obverse ID may be debatable, the reverse is not Reverse L and therefore not the S-34. It is either a S-22 with damage mimicking the die break at the cap or a new mule variety. I suspect closer examination will bear me out.

Draft saved Draft deleted