Amazing coin with Ganymede from the Pergamonmuseum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ycon, Aug 7, 2020.

1. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

High on my want list for a long time has been a coin featuring Ganymede on the reverse. I've yet to achieve this goal, but in my research I came across this fascinating coin from Berlin. It features Zeus not in the form of an eagle, but in human form, kissing the Trojan prince. I have never seen this iconography on a coin before (its composition is reminiscent of many Greek vase paintings, however).

[​IMG]
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...itlich,_VS_Septimius_Severus,_197-211_u.Z.jpg

All the information on wikipedia is "Berlin Pergamonmuseum, Münze RS Ganymed und Zeus, FO: Pergamon, kaiserzeitlich, VS: Septimius Severus, 197-211 u.Z."

Has anyone come across this type before? Or have a reference for it? I'm assuming that this specimen may be unique if not incredibly rare. I'd love more information on it. Otherwise just enjoy this interesting type, and share your Ganymede's if you like (you'll make me jealous).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Of no help here, but what an amazing coin! I wonder how Pergamum might have been connected to the legend of Ganymede for the city to issue such a unique depiction.

ycon likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What an unusual and fantastic coin!! Added to my wish list.

ycon likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It was pointed out to me by a friend several years ago that many reverse types show art (statue, fresco???) owned by the city that could be seen if you traveled there. In very few cases do we know, for example, if Pergamon owned the statue shown but it is something to research where possible.

ycon and galba68 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted