Amazing Cleaned Roman Coin Of Claudius!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FrankPlantagenet, Apr 12, 2010.

1. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

Hello,

Here is a metal detecting find that I've cleaned up, tell me what you think!

The Emperor is Claudius.

Front
    Before:
    [​IMG]

Front
    After:
    [​IMG]

Rev
    Before:
    [​IMG]

Rev
    After:
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Not very rare, but very good coin. I think, it"s value about 65$.

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That's a bit wishful. But it is a decent looking piece. This appears to be an official one, too. The Minerva type as was the most imitated/counterfeited coin of the first century AD, particularly in Britain. The current working theory is that, following the invasion, the supply of official bronze was insufficient for transactions, and these pieces were produced locally in response to the shortage.

Here's two contemporary counterfeits:

[​IMG]
    Cast Imitation of the 1st century
    Minerva as, 27mm
    bare head r.
    TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG TR P IMP PP
    Minerva advancing r., holding shield and brandishing spear
    Sutherland Grade II

Cast in two parts, slightly separated.

[​IMG]
    Struck Imitation of the 1st century
    Minerva as
    bare head r.
    Minerva advancing r., holding shield and brandishing spear, SC
    Sutherland Grade III

Found in Canterbury, Kent.

5. ReedSTL

ReedSTL Junior Member

Nice find! I just picked up my first metal detector today. Too bad I don't live in Europe otherwise I could find neat stuff like this!

6. FrankPlantagenet

Thank you for the detailed reply mate, I'm planning on keep the coin anyway, it will look a bit odd in my hammered collection as I've sold most of my Roman silver but it will be a nice addition, I'm very pleased with it!

I've just been out and had a look around and I've found a ploughed and rolled field, looks perfect! A lot of Medieval activity around that area also so I should get some stuff.

7. FrankPlantagenet

I'm guessing your from America, kind of unlucky you guys can't find much. I'm grateful I live where I do.

8. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

Awsome job! dig the coin :p

9. FrankPlantagenet

Indeed, I'm very pleased with this!

10. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Very nice cleaning job! - I am afraid to clean my coins. The oldest things on our place are Indian arrowsheads, and very old tools.

11. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

i live in the netherlands, any chance that i find coins here? where do i look, and where can i get a metal detector :D

12. FrankPlantagenet

Hello, luckily us Europeans have alot more history than our American friends. I would do some research around your area and try to detect in ploughed fields rather than ones that have just been harvested, all the treasure will be turned up, also after the field has been ploughed I would wait for a couple of days until the farmer has rolled it because its really annoying to detect an unlevel field.

Please do not sugest that members behave in such a manner by commiting Illigal acts. If you are caught at it you can be charged with theft as well as criminal damage

If you need anymore help just ask :)

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

nice coin, yeah it would be nice to find roman and greek coins in the us. but plenty of other things to look for :)

14. FrankPlantagenet

I guess I'm lucky where I live.

15. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Operative words there... loot and lucky. I suppose lucky in more ways than one. Farmers in the States don't take too kindly to nighttime visitors looting their fields...

Aside from the fact that looting is just plain wrong - as it entails an act of taking something that does not belong to someone, I seem to recall the farmers where I grew up were all staunch supporters of the 2nd Amendment. And they didn't think twice about "displaying" their belief in it either.

16. FrankPlantagenet

I've heard detecting is taken more seriously in the US, If a farmer sees you the worst that can happen is he will tell you to get off his land...I don't see the harm in detecting. I only used words like "loot" to make it sound more interesting..

17. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

you mean they will shoot you when they see you tresspassing their property?

18. FrankPlantagenet

No, of course not...they're not crazy here.

19. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

I see harm in it if items are being taken from an individual's private property. In most normal instances in the U.S., if an item is on a individual's property - buried for the sake of this discussion - that item is also their property. In most cases I am rather sure that hoards and miscellaneous coins/valuables would fall into this category.

Property rights are taken very seriously by folks here. In my opinion, I believe that the definition for what is "private property" in the U.S. differs from what is generally accepted and defined in many other countries. In my opinion, property ownership is more socialized in some countries (for a lack of a better word) than the U.S.

There are documented cases where that has occurred.

Statutes which stipulate when the use of deadly force can be employed are primarily defined at the individual state level. That means that from one state to another the definition may vary legally, and under what actions an intruder takes which can legally enable a property owner to justifiably (under the law) use deadly force. There are 50 states in the U.S.

20. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

hmm i understand, well i see that people are different. I think that people in the US are a bit more "agressive" which i understand completely. Its a total different enviroment, the people in Europe are a bit more passive.

21. FrankPlantagenet

I think its completely stupid that American farmers are like that. I will carry on metal detecting.

I'm no longer having a conversation whether metal detecting is right or wrong, if you have a problem with it get off my thread and start a new topic.

This thread was started to show a uncleaned then cleaned roman coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted