Amazed at it all

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mac McDonald, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Hi, folks. After 2 mos. of being a member, this is my first actual post. If I've chosen the wrong forum for this thread...if it's even a "thread"...I'll learn. It's been a bit daunting for this old(er) tech-dummy to figure the where/what of things around here, but by trial/error plus a few tips from a some of you and a little common sense (goes a long way), it's coming. I've probably come close to "crapping on" or "hijacking" some threads in my replies...sorry if I have or did...it's easy for me to jump the tracks (unintentionally I assure you). FYI, I still use a desk-top computer...just recently and intrepidly went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 plus wi-fi and which I barely know the basics enough to get by with. Also still use a 20-year-old "dumb" flip-phone that still works pretty well for what it was designed for...calls and texts...but no internet, camera or other "smart" features/functions, et al. My dear/smarter wife (aren't they all?) or one of my three grown/brilliant children (didn't take after dad for tech-stuff) can help me with a question now/then, if long distance. So, you'll have to bear with me at times and without the tools/skills to post photos. I've been a U.S. coin man since boyhood...the "history in your hands" concept hooked me before it was a slogan...but recently became interested in some limited foreign coins...some Conder tokens plus other issues of Britain, et al, Canada, Europe and a few others...again, very limited.

Anyway, I recently changed my original "mood" icon from English (there was no Irish or Scottish icons and some of my ancestors way back were English) to Amazed, because I've become so amazed at: how many ancient coin collectors there are...I had no idea...!; how many error coin collectors there are and how much effort many of them go to...much/many more than I imagined; how much...through reading these forums over just two months and after collecting off/on for over 60 years...I didn't/don't know nor how much has changed that I just didn't stay current with, if some for better and some not so...and some still TBD. Thanks to several for the help, tips and general "coin talk" thus far. -Mac/Amazed

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin talk!

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard
    I too have loved US coins since childhood. With the help of my friends here on CoinTalk I’ve branched out into errors and lately ancients.
    Never too old to learn a new trick. Woof

5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I still use an old desktop computer, too, Mac, and I do not have one of those new, fancy phones that can do just about anything either. I've decided, though, that when technology surpasses my 12-year-old computer's ability to get onto the internet—or to even send and receive emails—I'll just give it all up. It's a Mac model that has not been able to take on operating system upgrades for about three years, now.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Thanks for joining, and thanks for staying!

mlov43, Kentucky and AuldFartte like this.
  7. -jeffB

Don't! There are annoying things about the newer models, sure, but overall they're pretty much the same. For that matter, for email and Web stuff, it no longer matters that much what flavor of machine (Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome) you use.

I'm still not a big believer in the all-smartphone approach, though. Small screens (and aging eyes), pointing with my finger? To me, it's like poking a stick through a porthole.

LA_Geezer, Kentucky and AuldFartte like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Mac McDonald

You're not alone in the "tech-less" department. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone around to bail me out when I screw up.

The biggest mistake I made was switching from Win7 to Win10. For me, it sucks big time! I hope you don't have the same trouble.

I also use a desktop and still have a "dumb" phone that has no camera and I don't do text.

On the bright side, I have gained a lot of friends on CT. ~Chris

Stevearino, Kentucky and AuldFartte like this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Win10 is simply a newer interface. I am with you. I learned Windows 95 in well, 1995, and the interface was pretty much identical through Win7. Win10 I don't care much for, but I believe I simply got used to not having to learn new interfaces. When I was younger I was used to it, going from DOS to Win 3.1 and eventually Windows 95. Either we got lazy or old, but either way I didn't like the change in 10. :)

AuldFartte likes this.
  10. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

Welcome.gif @Mac McDonald ! Glad to have you aboard here. For an old guy, I'm a bit luckier than most as I had to learn computers starting in 1982 for use in the business I was in. It was a big thing that required a separate climate-controlled room - waaaay before desktops became popular. I got my first desktop in 1989. It used Windows (I don't even think it had a number yet) and it was clumsy, but "state of the art" for that time period.

Coin photography can be tricky. I first learned using a 0.97-megapixel digital camera that used those old 3" floppy disks - you could get 12 shots per disk. I've used a variety of digital cameras over the years, and with trial and error, I got better. Sort of. There are many folks here who are very good with coin photography. Ask for help whenever you need it. I think we'd all agree that this is a place with very helpful people. Enjoy!

11. -jeffB

Warning: opinions coming. The worst kind, too: professional opinions. :rolleyes:

When I started working on my PhD in human-computer interaction (usability, "user experience"), Apple was a guiding light in the field. They showed everybody how to design your systems so they were usable:
    • Keep things organized and uncluttered
    • Let users see what they could and couldn't do
    • Provide direct, immediate feedback for each user action
    • Make it possible to undo unwanted actions
    Then Steve Jobs and the top of the design hierarchy got obsessed with making things beautiful and minimalist. If there was a choice between making a button clearly describe what it does and making it artistic, art won every time.

Oh, and text? U. G. L. Y. People don't want to read, they want to experience. Give them an icon instead of text, not in addition to text. And make it simple, because simple shapes are prettier.

And, of course, because Apple established themselves as The Design Leader, Microsoft and everyone else followed in their footsteps. Not in all the details, but in the big picture.

So, today, pull out a phone or pull up a website, and you'll see... beauty. Soft colors, gentle contrast, wisps of suggestions of things you might be able to tap or click to make something happen. But if what you really want is to "contact Customer Service", well... is that the little mauve square at the bottom of the screen, or the teal oval, or the grey thing that might be a keyhole or a person or a chess piece or a phallic symbol? Don't be afraid; touch it, and see what happens! (And hope that last guess isn't the right one.) If it doesn't do what you wanted, well, it'll surely do something interesting, and keeping you interested is what it's all about. Not, you know, getting things done.

Sigh. I'm old, and out of touch. But there were really good reasons NOT to do things the way they're done today. It's really frustrating that we had good solutions, and we threw them away for something that doesn't work as well. But it sure is nice to look at, I guess...

Stevearino, Penny Luster and xlrcable like this.
  12. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I'm relieved to see there are still some of us who are semi-literate when it comes to computers and cell phones. We have enough "savvy" to get through the basics to function, but not enough to help out anyone else who is having problems. For me, my intro to Windows 10 was a "leap" from Vista. Fortunately, several weeks after getting my "new" computer we took a 2 week cruise. Onboard was a Microsoft "techie" who ran an abbreviated course on Windows 10. Needless to say, I was camped outside of the room each and every day (waiting up to an hour before it started - sitting on a "borrowed" chair from an adjoining room). Most popular activity on the ship, and I learned quite a bit of the basics. Most valuable tip was to deactivate my third party anti-virus program. Microsoft Defender then automatically activated, giving me more protection and no extra cost since it was built-in. As far as phones, I have an old Trac-Fone that still works, making and receiving phone calls. My wife has the "smart" phone. Happy as a clam, learning about coins from many "experts" on CT.

Penny Luster likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. If you have have any tech problems, forget your kids and go straight to the grandkids. At age 5 they are more tech savvy than your children. Same goes with the TV remote. Lol

masterswimmer likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to the circus @Mac McDonald, hang on for a great ride. Many knowledgeable people here. Some helpful, some not so much. You will learn the difference as you go. Good luck.

15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Welcome to CT.

mlov43 likes this.
  16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I'm still using windows 7 on a 8 year old laptop that still looks brand new.

17. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Older cellphones have more power and will work in areas where smartphones will not (and usually for longer periods between charges). Could be important in areas with spotty coverage.

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ah, this takes me back... I started working for Ampex in N. CA in 1982 and they used computers for formulation calculations. These computers (used they were) used 12" floppies! Insert the operating system, turn the computer on and wait for it to boot...remove the op system disk and insert the program disk... From this I moved on to a Windows system at 3M. After being laid-off, and moving into teaching, I was forced into Appleworld which I never really understood or liked. Now I have a desk-top running Windows 10.1 in an emulation mode and do most of my play on a Chromebook. Adapt with the times...

Kevin Mader likes this.
  19. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

For real, the only time I poked a stick through a porthole, a Petty Officer made me squab the galley ! Lol !
    We're happy to have you aboard, McDonald.

20. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I bought a used Commodore PET with cassette tape drive. Loading a program took forever. I taught myself Basic language back then, programmed a bit in college, but alas...just use computers these days for work and occasionally validate SW for enterprisewide solutions...my version of adapting I guess.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

When you get the chance, I think I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on what has changed - and what has pretty much remained the same - over those 60 years. And it would be great to see some of the coins in your collection. Thank you.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted