Am I wasting my time keeping $1 sequential serial #'s?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by CE2017, Aug 8, 2017.

1. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

HI, I just joined because I couldn't find an answer to this question online; then I came across this forum so I'm hoping someone here will help me. I'm new to collecting as of this year.
    Regarding my saved consecutive serial numbers so far, all of them are uncirculated & are $1 bills dated 2013. The lowest run has only 2 in a row, while the largest run has 25 in a row. None of them are fancy serial #'s like binary or radars etc. Am I wasting my time keeping these or could they be more valuable than face value? In other words just how many sequential numbers make saving them necessary for possibly becoming more valuable?
    I need to know because an emergency has come up & I have to dip into my collection to correct my situation. Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd say it's probably safe to spend them if there's nothing special about them as I don't think they'll ever have a premium (within a time frame relative to making it worth the opportunity cost of holding them). It's pretty easy to get modern sequential uncirculated bills just take look at how many you can get sequential on Ebay for very little premium over face.

4. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me then how many sequential numbers will it take for any extra value? Would I need a unbroken pack, or are they called bricks?

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

In my opinion, I don't think there is a significant premium for common Series 2013 sequential notes, regardless of the number. If you looked hard, maybe you could find someone willing to pay a small premium, or mess around selling on ebay, but I don't think there is a ready market willing to pay a premium for current federal reserve notes.

Maybe in 20 years, you might get an a small percentage over face for 50 or 100 notes, but if you need the funds now, spend them.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I can go to my Credit Union and buy stacks of 100 sequential bills with the US Fed strap whether $1s, $2s (usually available around Christmas time), $5s, $10s, $20s, $50s or $100s.

I've always been curious why people buy these on eBay for a premium, though slight. I guess many don't know that they can get them themselves.

CE2017 likes this.
  7. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Thank you now that leads me to want to know how old do bills have to be to become more valuable? I just saw a bundle on ebay of a 2013 sequential bundle pack of $1's (100) that sold for $127...that's a good profit wouldn't you say?

8. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Yeah, I'm just learning that about credit unions. My current bank tellers never say they have any new packs or coin rolls. I'm considering changing banks.

9. Blissskr

Even for straps of 100 on Ebay take this one below are only going for about $125 shipped with standard Ebay/Paypal fee's that seller would make $2 on the item.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Sequen...702852?hash=item25dc977304:g:wm8AAOSwUKxYfsEF

10. Blissskr

It doesn't really have to do with how old per say, it's more a combination of demand, eventual survival rates and condition that ends up determining whether an increase in value occurs.

11. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Yeah I'm not an expert nor a seller on ebay but I do shop there. I know ebay & paypal take out fees but in this case the buyer will pay for shipping which then I'm guessing will lead to him making about $10. Everything is relative, many are happy with a $10 profit especially if he profits from selling many in one day.
    In any case I can see I will be back a lot on this forum! Thank you very much!

12. Blissskr

Standard Ebay final value fee's are 10% of item cost and then Paypal takes another 3%, shipping charges are also factored into the amount they take a cut from. The seller would be very lucky to make $10 if they have a final value fee discount from being a top seller or having a store.

Here's a pretty good calculator if you're ever curious just how much a seller will likely get when buying an item or making an offer https://salecalc.com/

13. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Thanks, will check that later. Still going through my collection to see which ones I can spend...I have what I think may be errors but not sure if they are, it looks like the print came through the back all around the edging. Keepers? or not?

Attached Files:

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The ink didn't soak through, it was transferred from the sheet printed right before this one. Sorry, but it's too minor to add any value.

CE2017 likes this.
  15. CE2017

CE2017 New Member

Thanks good to know for future searches!

Draft saved Draft deleted