Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merrill01, Mar 1, 2015.

1. merrill01

merrill01 Member

Am I the only one who feels this way?
    You see, when I pay say $250 for a MS-64 Carson City Dollar. I don't feel so bad, but when I pay that much for a dime or a nickle, I somehow feel different. It is strange, but why do I feel that the dollar is more worth the money than a dime or penny?
    So my question is, does anyone feel that way, or am I the only one?
    I guess is that we really hate to pay more than the value of the actual coin. After all a 1916 D Mercury dime was worth just 10 cents at the time. But a Dollar was always worth a dollar. Collecting is a strange habit. Any reply would be well read, and thank you for reading.

JPeace$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree, wholeheartedly! Why, I would gladly pay the market price for an 1893-S MS64 Morgan any day.

Chris;)

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No, but my girlfriend doesn't fully understand when I leave the house with $50 and come back home with two (silver) Roosevelt dimes. :) She gets it a little more when I come home with stuff that doesn't look like it could theoretically be found in our change jar.

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'm the same way. It's one of the reasons I primarily collect large silver coins.

Jason Hoffpauir and coinman1234 like this.
  7. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

It all way come down to the size

BRandM likes this.
  8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I have a dime I paid 300 for and I like it!. :)

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

It is all about perspective and what you want to collect. I have cents, two centers, and nickels I have paid much more than $250 on. And some of them are low grades. I do not have a problem doing thing this. What I have a problem with is paying so much money for a coin that is really should be common coin - the 09-S VDB comes to mind. But it is what it is because of demand.

beef1020 and ToughCOINS like this.
  10. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I agree with Mark, I will gladly pay good money for an early copper, but not so much a Morgan dollar. I like the fact that coppers were heavily used by the average person in colonial times, much more interesting to me than a silver dollar that spent most of it's existence sitting in a vault somewhere.

longnine009 and Spud Koolzip like this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

As long as I notify my wife (read that as get approval) that I want to by a more expensive coin (assuming the money is available) I don't have a problem with paying big bucks for any coin.
    She understands that the items I buy can be resold for at least a reasonable part of my initial purchase.
    To have coins that I can get "a reasonable part of my initial purchase" means most of my purchases are 19th century, and definitely nothing after 1964.

And we both understand that selling those coins will probably never allow me to recover my initial investment if you factor in inflation.

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I don't mind paying up for the dollar coins if the quality matches the price but, get frustrated when trying to find an honest coin in a ocean of misfits. When I get that feeling I will try to find something interesting cheap even if I don't avidly collect them. Most of my best buys are frustrated impulses.

13. Jacnum7

Jacnum7 Active Member

When I first started collected it felt strange to spend $600 for a quarter, now I don't think about it when I spend $1,100 on a penny.

14. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Apparently, size does matter.:D Sorry, I couldn't help it!

Bruce

15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

When I started my type set I established a maximum of $500 per coin.
    It didn't take too long to find out that's a joke.
    Now that the only coins I still need are in the 1790's and even in Fine they are at least 4-figures.
    Some (about 6-8) I'll never get unless I hit the lottery.

16. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

Everyone has preferences, but large coins seem to appeal very widely. When I go abroad, I often take golden dollars or Ike dollars as tips. People love 'em! I like to give the same, and silver eagles from their birth year as presents too.
    I remember my dad used to keep an old English large penny in his change purse, with his birth year on it. One day I noticed the thing had worn completely smooth, so I got him a new one for his birthday. The happiness was far out of proportion to the cost!
    I personally prefer big silver, as in halves and dollars, and old large copper. Something so substantial about a silver dollar in the hand

17. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I am the same too. Mind if I can get your recommendation on books that relate primarily on Large Silver World Coins? I posted a thread a while back with little to no interest. If you don't have any recommendations no problem no worries. Thanks and enjoy what remains of your day.

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I'll send you a PM later today with some books I have on the subject.

Draft saved Draft deleted