Am I the only one that can see a 4 under the 5?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SecretPenny, Aug 10, 2022.

?

Ever notice "phantom" letters or numbers on a coin?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2022.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

87.5%
  3. What is a phantom letter or number?

12.5%
  1. SecretPenny

SecretPenny New Member

Why would there be a faint looking 4 under the 5? I see things like this all the time and I cant help but wonder if there isn't more to the process of creating coins than they let on to. Its just really strange that there would be an S mint with a D mint over it. I would hear plenty of people say yes that's a D over S mint. . . But I never hear anyone question why or how that would even be remotely possible if the coins were made hundreds of miles away in a different location.

Along the same lines, we know that there were many coins confiscated for one reason or another. . . Whos to say they didn't have some sort of method of removing numbers or letters most of the way and create another letter or number over that number. Maybe its just me, but how on earth does a dark looking 4 appear under the 5. With a point out the top of the 5 and a light center just like a 4 has. What does anyone else think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

You need to comprehend how coins are made and study the minting process. Most of what you are saying will be explained. Go to: doubleddie.com and read those sections. It will help you learn to be a better collector. Welcome to CT.
    …Spark

Kevin Mader likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm seeing a normal cent that has had a hard life in circulation.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes it is. I also see nothing.
    There are many explanations..
    Die wear, toning, dirt and circulation wear can sometimes cause Paredolia to occur.

Suggestion.. Create your future threads in the Error Coins, US Coins or Coin Chat forums. Not the What's it Worth forum :meh:

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Why?

Because you have a great imagination

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm not aware of that with general circulation coins. Can you reference and provide links to police reports and court submissions ?

Learn the minting process.
    Learn what people do with coins.
    Wonder how an old coin can exist a hundred years later in circulation.
    How do coins end up in a cash register, at a bank, how do they get distributed, and then redistributed, etc.
    Learn how coins can get dirty from general circulation (start making a list for your self)
    Buy some coin minting equipment and learn the facts in great detail. and make your own medallions while you're at it.
    There's no conspiracy when you do research and don't stop learning.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The area in question is a die chip smashed to look like the 4's front....I have very good vision for my age ,collecting over 50 + years I have seen or though I've seen quite a few things on coins. Some are very real....other shapes that our mind sez hay wait a minuite....that's a ???? And you know sometimes it is notable.....other times its our eyes and brain playing tricks....keep searching... its like the lotto if you dont buy a ticket ...you're not going to win....if you don't search you won't find.... one just needs to stay positive and know that " today could be the day" but if not theres always tomorrow;) .... or the next day.....never give up...on anything...hope is a powerful virtue it supports the faith we need to have in ourselves. Keep hunting.....andcsearching.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No I do not see phantom letters or numbers. The minting process will not allow that to happen nowadays. I do not have a good enough imagination to let my mind wonder to see these things. Kind of wish I did but I can only focus on what’s there.

Welcome to CT.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

You funny fellow. Make me laugh. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted