Am I still Morgandude? Sold my 1893s

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am just outside of Orlando. The person who bought the 1893s lives in Olde Naples, on the Gulf. He is a big-time collector. Blessings back at ya.

MIGuy, David Betts and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

What website or auction did you sell it ebay?

MIGuy likes this.
  4. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

The good thing about having a good eye and buying nice coins is that they are a source of funds for other collecting ventures and will sell readily. Good for you and look forward to seeing the results of your ongoing collecting activities.

spirityoda and Scott J like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's the crown jewel of the circulating bunch.

MIGuy, -jeffB and spirityoda like this.
  6. Morgandude11

Private sale to a high roller collector in Naples, Florida, who buys very high end coins.

MIGuy likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and none of the pics were coming through anyways. :mad:

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Oh, you have to come to the next FUN and hopefully have another CT meet-up.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

I last went in 2018. Hope we have one next year.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Morgandude11 I can't think of anyone else I'd ask pointed Morgan questions of.
    You're the resident authority. If you expand your horizons it doesn't detract from the expertise you've acquired over the decades.

Would you be willing to share what you picked up in place of the 1893s?

MIGuy and spirityoda like this.
  11. Morgandude11

I have been. Lots of world Crown-Sized coins, Jefferson Nickel toned proofs, proof Liberty Nickels, etc.

MIGuy, masterswimmer and eddiespin like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I was a little curious at that when you started drifting off into these. Judging from just the ones you posted, I think you’re off to a good start. Good luck.

MIGuy and Morgandude11 like this.
  13. Morgandude11

Out of respect for the new owner, who is fairly private, I won’t say exactly what it sold for directly. I paid $8450 a decade ago for it. It resold for very close to PCGS Price Guide Price.

NSP, Bob Evancho and spirityoda like this.
  14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I guess I'll have to rethink my standards for Morgans. I can't imagine paying anywhere near $1,000 for one graded AU or below. I've seen a lot and passed over them because I don't care for wear. I guess I'm too picky.

15. Morgandude11

Not too picky—I would just say to study the series more.
    Then, definitely rethink key dates, as 4-5 figures are what they cost. A really nice MS 93s is a million dollar coin.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Best of luck on you're new journey. I will still look for the occasional Morgan.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

She’s the kid with all the candy because there aren’t enough of her to go around in any grade. That’s why she’ll cost you in any grade and why most albums in any grade have an empty hole with her name on it. ;)

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

If I may...a fairly newbie not knowing all these posting do's/don'ts...gotta ask an off-subject question about one of the 1885-O Morgans in the photo, if you know: how did it end up near-inverted (upside-down) in that holder...? Have seen a lot of PCGS coins cocked similar, if not quite as much...but hardly any in NGC holders. Thanks.

MIGuy likes this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your wife's medical issues. I hope all went well and she has recovered.
    Good luck with the new coins.

20. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

The older PCGS holders seem to allow more movement of the coins. I'll bet I could spin it back to the upright if I played with it. The earliest PCGS holders are called "rattlers" because the coin isn't tightly secured.

eddiespin likes this.
  21. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Wait, there's such a thing as MS93??

I do have the Morgan red book, and most of what I have is inherited. But I have been buying raw Morgans after close examination, but will start looking back into slabbed ones. And I've yet to buy one that I felt was unacceptable to me because of wear. And even the ones with wear seem to be pricey.

Draft saved Draft deleted