Am I seeing things ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mojavedave, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

My eyes are not as they used to be, but I see what looks to me as a 1878-CC micro CC.
    Is there such a thing ? Take a peek at these pictures and see if you can see what I am talking about on the 1878-CC Morgan. 1878-CC-Obv-19.JPG 1878-CC-Reverse-29.JPG 1878-CC-Obv-19.JPG 1890-CC-Obv-16.JPG 1878-CC-Obv-19.JPG 1878-CC-Reverse-29.JPG 1878-Micro CC-30.JPG 1890 CC - Normal-32.JPG 1890-CC-Obv-16.JPG 1890-CC-Reverse-24.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

No what you're looking at is a fake.

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Hi Patty, I respect your comment, but I want to be sure before I go after the guy on Ebay who sold it to me. I posted two coins, 1878-CC and 1890-CC. I was trying to show a comparison between the mint mark of the coins. The 1878 is the coin in question. Here is a comparison picture of the two coins.
    CC-Comparison-12.JPG CC-Comparison-12.JPG CC-Comparison-12.JPG CC-Comparison-21.JPG

5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Dave, look at the 7 in the date, and that is not a legitimate cc either.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mintmark sizes can vary from year to year and sometimes during the same year. A comparison from one year to another might not mean anything.

I would assume VAMworld would have images of all the known 1878 CC reverse dies known and that would be a better place to make comparisons to see if you coin matches and known reverse die as far as size and placement of the mint mark. As for the 7 in the date the image isn't very good and I can't tell if the 7 is wrong or damaged.

Mojavedave likes this.
  7. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thank you Condor. Your response makes me feel a lot better about the 1878-CC. I have looked at the 7 magnified and it has the crown on top, so I think that is legit. I will try VAMworld for the variety of the MM. Below is the response from the seller;

"It is definitely not fake. We can come up with a solution if you want to keep the one, but I have been doing this for a long time and have bought and sold hundreds of 1878 cc’s. That’s the mintmark for the year. They changed it in 79. The coin is authentic. Give me a number of what you would like to get refunded for the 78 and if it works, I will refund that amount upon returning of the coin. "

Draft saved Draft deleted