Am I Missing Something Here

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Hommer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Yep, conditional rarity.

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

MS65 examples are common. MS66 examples are rare.

5. Hommer

6. Hommer

The type II is the rarity right?

7. jallengomez

8. jallengomez

The type II is the rarity in sheer numbers minted, but you are confusing rarity in numbers minted with rarity in numbers graded a particular grade.

miedbe7 likes this.
  9. Hommer

10. Hommer

http://coinancials.com/CoinImages/I...s.com/CoinImages/Ike_dollars_bydate/1972.html

Home — Coin Forum — Coin Price Guides — AboutCoinancials.comThe Most Valuable CoinsView this website in your language Spanish French German Chinese Japanese ArabicRussian7Tracking the numismatic value of the most rare US Coins on the market.SPECIFICATIONS:Designer: Frank Gasparro, the reverse based on a design by Michael Collins and James CooperDiameter: 38.5 millimetersMetal Content:Outer layers - 75% Copper, 25% NickelCenter - 100% CopperWeight: 350 grains (22.7 grams)Edge: ReededMint mark: None (for Philadelphia, PA) between Eisenhower's head and the date.Cherry Picker's List:1974-D Rare off-metal errors exist on 40% Silver planchets.1776-1976 Found in two varieties, with the tail of R in Dollar straight or curved. Four Proofs were struck without mintmarks.1776-1976-D Found in two varieties, with the tail of R in Dollar straight or curved.1776-1976-S 40% silver Found in two varieties, with the tail of R in Dollar straight or curved. Struck only as Proofs and available originally only in Proof Sets.1977-D Rare off-metal errors exist on 40% Silver planchets.1971 $10 Better Dates1972 High Relief Earth $50.00 Type II1973 $11 Better Dates1973-S $10 Better Dates1973-D $11 Better Dates1974-D Rare wrong metal, 40% silver planchets found.Related Links: Ike Dollar Price Guide/Mintages,Ike Dollar Grading Guide,Dollar Pattern CoinsDate/Mint Mark Mintage MS64 MS65 MS661972 Type I 75,890,000 $24 $172 1972 Type II 75,890,000 $84 $1,495 1972 Type III 75,890,000 $39 $149 $977

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  11. miedbe7

The BU and Proof Silvers were prepared for collectors, not like business strikes. The BU Silvers tend to run lower in grade because they were collected in a hopper and packaged with cellophane (Blue Pack Ikes). One of the early years, 71/72 in a 68 would be a white whale. But a proof Silver Ike (Brown pack Ike) in 68 would be worth melt or a bit above. Normally those are found in 69DCAM. 70s are rare for those.

Again, conditional rarity is the key. How many were made and how well. What was the attrition rate, aka how many survived. And finally, what do they grade as a date/mm and what's that population considering the total mintage. Some date/mm are common as can be, but a 1972 Type 2 Ike in MS-66 is at least a 4 figure coin. A 71-P Ike in MS-65 is a shade under $100, for examples.

jallengomez likes this.
  12. Hommer

I don't know. Every where I look the Type III is valued at around $950 in a MS66. But prices asked are 3 times that.

13. jallengomez

Where are you looking? The last PCGS 66 example on Heritage sold for $2820 back on January 9th.

14. miedbe7

Red Book is great for beginning out and general info. For prices, not so much except for a guide, ex: seeing where conditional rarity breaks in prices are. To glean a better idea of the market for a certain coin, a better guide might be the free Numismedia FMV guide found here. For example, a 1972-P Type 3 Ike shows @ 1410 in their price guide at MS-66 level. That is a better indication of value for a guide.

In the long run, the best places to find specifics would be completed Ebay auctions or BIN listings where an item actually sold. Heritage Auctions, as mentioned before, is a great tool as well. You can join for free and this allows you not only to find past auction prices, but for specific lots, you can see the NGC/PCGS population data and prices that normally might require a membership to access. Moreover, Heritage provides high resolution photos of lots so you can hone your grading skills and understand certain grades, problems, nomenclature, etc.

I hope this helps answer "what am I missing" :)

Hommer, jallengomez and krispy like this.
  15. Hommer

16. Hommer

Thanks. This I know for a fact: The more I think I know, the less I do.

Edit to add this: Is the Blue Book that far off on their values?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  17. Hommer

I wouldn't, and don't, put all my stock in one auction. There were 2 guys that wanted that coin really bad and now one of them has one and the other one obviously didn't think it was worth that.

18. jallengomez

I don't put all of my stock on one auction either; that's just the most recent sell that I could find. If you look at the auction archives for PCGS MS66 type 3s I don't think your going to find one that sold for $950.

19. Danigma1980

Danigma1980 New Member

I have a 77d ike with a hair lip. Dose is this out side of the mint damage or something else

20. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@Danigma1980 welcome to CT. You need to post your own thread with clear, in focus photos. You have replied to a 6 year old dead thread. Once you have a good image crop out all unnecessary background before uploading it to your post.

DarkRage666 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted