Am I correct to assume that a coin is worth its lowest

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by chascyr, May 16, 2010.

1. chascyr

chascyr Junior Member

Am I correct to assume that a coin is worth its face value untill it has been professionally graded? Is there any rule of thumb for what age a coin should be graded?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

There is no time limit. I have 2010 coins graded allready

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Good Lord no. I've bought many ungraded coins at well over face value.....:smile

5. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i wish that was the case. i buy all of my coins raw (unslabbed) and for over face.

6. chascyr

chascyr Junior Member

i guess i should have asked if the only way for an amature collector to find the true value of their coins is to have them graded.

7. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Not really. the best way to find the True value of your coins is to look at realized auctions (finished auctions) Purchasing a Redbook is another option for finding the whereabouts value…………….are you familiar with how to search ended auctions???? if not shoot me a pm and I can help you out

8. green18

Definately not a good idea to send coins in for grading unless you know exactly what you got. Too dang expensive....

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

you can have an expert grade them and it will likely give you a good idea of what a coin is worth. What many have done is to learn about the coin that they are grading, search the references on that coin and learn to grade that coin for themselves.

If you just want to know what something is worth, ask an expert. If you would like to start collecting and plan to own several coins, then it behooves you to learn to grade for yourself.

10. chascyr

chascyr Junior Member

I really appreciate the help, and no i am not familiar with any aspect of an auction. Not only that but I am not tech savy by any means, I dont know what a pm is, but if i did know I would shoot you one.

11. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

lol….its cool!!! its a personal message. do you have an ebay account?or possibly heritage , teletrade

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

You can post a picture of a coin and we will be glad to help you decide what grade it is, and then the value of it.

Speedy

13. jamesmorgans10

jamesmorgans10 Junior Member

You came to the right place for help.

14. green18

We are all at you service Chascyr......:smile

15. chascyr

chascyr Junior Member

No i dont have any of these. I havent spent a lot of time on a computer. I have looked on ebay, at various things, and i see coins that i have been told have a value of between $50 and $1500 that have bids of $1 or $2 offered. That is why I thought the coins needed to be graded. I guess I need to look into a catalogue, can you suggest a good one? Is there a standard "must have" guide? I will keep my eye out for auctions.
    thanks for your replys as soon as i figure out how to get a clear image up i will post a fue.

16. chascyr

chascyr Junior Member

that is a very cool image you have there. Can i ask what you took it with?
    thanks chas cyr

17. mikenoodle

18. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

No, it's only "the bible" to collectors of US coinage.

For coinage of other countries there are individual country-specific catalogs such as Charlton's Canadian Coins; and foreign language catalogs such as the Japanese Numismatic Dealers Assn. annual catalogs, Gunter Schon's German language World Coin Catalog, etc.

Both a backup for individual country catalogs and a primary source for coinage of countries without specialized catalogs is the Krause Publications Standard Catalog of World Coins, in five large telephone book-sized volumes.

None of them are truly accurate sources of values, which fluctuate much too rapidly to be authoritatively compiled in books.

19. mikenoodle

you're right I sit corrected. It is the bible for US collectors. I assumed he was in the US, and the OP is not necessarily here.

The RedBook although thought of as a price guide, is more of a guidebook and reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted